Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what brand/style of harness works best with your beagle. I have had a difficult time getting a good fit for Maggie. We started with the gentle leader brand and returned that one. The the rep for Halti happened to be at the store. She tried to fit Maggie using some of their half sizes with no luck. Maggie seems to have a broad chest so when we get the right measurement there, the strap for the girth doesn't fit properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have 3 different kinds: the very basic one, one that is called 2-step harness and one fancy one that Chloe wears in special occasions.

They have those little fitting buckles that help adjusting it to her size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it common in the US to walk the dog with a harness like a gentle leader or halti?
Over here they're hardly used, only when it's reccomended by a behavior expert.
I've never seen a beagle with one actually.

I hope I have the right harness in mind, the one with the strap over the nose is what I mean.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has a regular old harness, made by Lupine, nothing special. It works just fine for us. It adjusts around the middle and then in the front as well. The leash attaches on her back. We do have a problem with her pulling when my aunt tries to walk her so I bought this other one that hooked in front of her chest and was supposed to stop pulling. Jersey kept managing to pull her leg out of it so I returned it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Bear in mind that Beagles are prone to spine problems. When you use a harness the tension is spread more evenly and not pressuring the neck. I also find that they pull less when using a harness, and it prevents them choking themselves and reduces reverse sneezing.

What you are referring to, Danielle, is the gentle leader or a halter harness, is is usually used to restrain pullers. It is also recommended that a professional explains how to use it right, to get the best results.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chloe's Mommy When you use a harness the tension is spread more evenly and not pressuring the neck. I also find that they pull less when using a harness, and it prevents them choking themselves and reduces reverse sneezing.
this is exactly what made us go to a harness, and the results we got also

·
Registered
366 Posts
We use just a regular cheap harness, that he kind of steps into to put it on. The leash is attached at the back. It's adjustable to fit and has grown with him. He rarely pulls on walks. In fact, I often have to look behind me to make sure he is still there because the leash feels empty.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I hate head halters with a passion, they are a major pet hate of mine for many reasons.

I like the puppia brand of harness if you are going to use one. They are very soft and look great too! Although I have found harnesses do nothing to discourage pulling for my bitch (I have a siberian husky too and harnesses just encourage him to pull!) because a dog gets all their strength from their front.

I use a martingale collar for training and find it quite effective. When you have a properly fitted correction collar, it takes very little force to correct the dog as the top of the neck is the most sensitive part. On walks I am happy to let Daisy sniff, as long as she isn't pulling. When we are training in obedience of course she must keep her head off the ground at all times

·
Registered
890 Posts
We have gone through several harnesses to get one that fits. Since beagles tend to have broad chests, it is hard to find one that fits both back and front. The larges are too big for Tucker, and the mediums are too small. Cleo had another problem in that she was fat. Tucker is just a big beagle.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think using a martingale collar will yield much better results. We tried a harness on Bodie once. It took forever to put on because he was squirming like crazy. And once we got it one he rolled on the grass like he was on fire. I'm a big proponent for the martingale ever since.

·
Registered
421 Posts
one thing i don't understand is, sophie's harness is bright pink and so is her leash. still i get questions is it a boy or girl?
people pet her and say what's his name? when i say <span style="font-style: italic">sophie</span> they always say ...oh
how do they not understand that she is a girl when they see the pink harness and leash?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.