Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently sent an article writen by Dr. Karen Halligan about ten things you should never give your pet. This is for both dogs and cats. I found some of these very interesting, and things I did not know. I thought I would share with you as well, in case it may educate others.

1. Make no bones about it -- bones are bad for animals! Every year countless numbers of animals end up in the emergency room from being given bones by their owners, usually as a treat.

The fact is that dogs are omnivores, not carnivores and most dogs and cats cannot tolerate bones. They can splinter or lodge in the intestinal tract with disastrous results, usually requiring surgery. They can also get stuck in their mouth or throat, which is just as dangerous. All bones are bad, including pork, chicken and beef. The next time you feel the urge to give your dog a bone, just make sure it's a milk bone or a nylabone. Your pet will love you for it.

2. Chocolate can be lethal to pets because it contains theobromine, which causes increased heart rate, central nervous system stimulation and constriction of arteries. Clinical symptoms range from vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and excitability to cardiac failure, seizures and death. This can occur as quickly as four to six hours after ingestion. Baking chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of theobromine.

A potential lethal dose is only one pound of chocolate in a 16-pound dog. If your pet has gotten into chocolate you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

3. Alcohol is also very bad for cats and dogs. It doesn't take much alcohol to intoxicate a pet. Animals will stagger and bump into things, hurting themselves, and it also causes them to urinate uncontrollably.

In high doses, alcohol will suppress the central nervous, respiratory and cardiac systems and can lead to death. It is best to just give your pet water.

4. Milk is also not good for animals because many of them are lactose intolerant and will develop diarrhea. Pets often lack the enzyme that is required to break down the sugar in milk and this can cause them to develop vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms.

Even though they like it, especially cats, refrain from giving your pets milk.

5. Ham and other salty meats and foods are very dangerous to pets. In addition to being high in fat, they are also very salty which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called "bloat." This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing the pet to die. Please avoid giving ham and salty foods to your pets.

6. Onions are toxic to pets. They contain allyl propyl disulfide, which damages their red blood cells and can cause fatal consequences in animals. They may become anemic, weak and have trouble breathing. The best thing to do if your pet ingests onions is to get them to the vet right away.

7. Caffeine is also bad for pets. It contains methylated xanthine that, like chocolate, stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems and within several hours can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and even death. So make sure your pets stay away from that early morning brew.

8. Avocados are also bad for pets. First, they are really high in fat and can cause stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. Second, the pit is also toxic and can get lodged in the intestinal tract leading to a severe blockage, which may require surgery.

9. It may come as a surprise to many that tuna fish is bad for cats. The feline heart muscle requires an amino acid called taurine to maintain normal strength and function. Regular tuna fish for humans does not have this amino acid and cats that eat too much tuna fish will develop heart problems. If you want to give your cats that taste of tuna that they love, just make sure it is tuna fish for cats which has this amino acid added.

10. The latest study has found that raisins and grapes can lead to kidney failure in pets. Small dogs can also choke on grapes so it is best to just make sure that your pets eat a well-balanced diet that is formulated for their life stage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Thanks Deb! An interesting one that I learned about first hand that a lot of sites don't mention is food that's got lots of artificial dyes. My aunt and uncle used to feed their spaniel all sorts of human junk food (ignorant, I guess) and she actually developed pancreatitis from the dyes in Fruity Pebbles. They used to give her a bowl with the kids! Needless to say she was very sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: rusty2542Great post Deb. Do you mind if I copy this and pass it on to some of my dog owner friends? This is great info for new pet people!!
Feel free Lorie.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Great info but I do not completely agree witht he bones part. RAW bones are fine for dogs, it is anything cooked that is very dangerous.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
I give raw marrow bones and they have never had a problem. Never broken a piece off the bone,mever gotten an upset stomach, nothing. They are great for cleaning their teeth as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Good info, thanks. I had already known about the grapes and chocolate. Common since tells you not to get your pet alcohol and salty foods. However I had no idea about the dangers of milk, avocado, or bones.

There are certain nuts that dogs should not eat. I need to find that info and share it here.

Nice job /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Wow. I give Kioko grapes ALL the time. I guess I'll stop that! I had no idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,199 Posts
I don't understand the bone thing either. In the wild when a dog catches it's prey it eats ALL of it including the bones. It is true that dogs are omnivores but that doesn't mean they can't eat bones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Interesting, alcohol and caffeine are fairly obvious, and I had heard about some others thanks to this forum, but I had no idea about tuna being dangerous for cats

I think it errs on the side of caution though, no bones at all seems a bit excessive, and not all dogs are lactose intolerant, plus there's a huge difference between giving them cow's milk and ewe's or goat's milk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I am not disputing any of the items in this list, but, i had an Australian Silky Terrier that lived for 17 human years,she often enjoyed helping me finish of a choclate bar and always ate the Onions off the barbacue, guess its a bit like smoking, some get cancer and some dont.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,083 Posts
I give Abby a chocolate kiss here and there.

I've read that the problem with chocolate some dogs have and some don't. I don't know how accurate that is, but my mother's dog lived to 14 or so and ate chocolate a lot more often than Abby does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Bloom gets a little chocolate bar every now and then. As long as you give the right dose I don't see any problems with that.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top