Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I would like to share something with you that had happened to GiGi last night; she was perfectly fine, playing, chasing Max(our cat) and then suddenly she looked like she was stoned and paralyzed, by holding her right paw up. She did not cry or make any single sound but after that she refused to walk and move for about 15 minutes. Then we gave her treats and she was able to eat them with no problems. However when she tried to walk, she was having difficulty. Then we wrapped her with a warm blanket, she was like that for about half an hour and then she started to move, walk, eat, drink as this had never happened. We were deadly worried but she seems okey now, any ideas what caused this to happen? thank you !

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am sorry I don't have much advice to offer you. It sounds like possibly a type of seizure, or perhaps she could have pinched a nerve. You might want to check with your vet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am so sorry GiGi and you had such an awful fright! It sounds very much like a seizure. I was reading recently that Beagles are prone to seizures - I had no idea, despite doing quite a bit of research before bringing Penny into our lives. There is also a recent thread on this site about seizures it may be of some interest. Having researched some more, I understand that they can be one offs and if not, the good news is that they are easily treated. I have no experience with animal seizures whatsoever, only what I have read. I hope that all goes well for you and GiGi. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Everybody

First of all, thanks a bunch for your responses.
I made a quick search on the deficiency of certain vitamins and their effects in canine health (and also in humans).

Vitamin B is the one which prevents seizures (water soluble, therefore there is no risk of overdosing). I started giving GiGi those vitamins (commercially available in walmart for dogs) and I still did not observe any seizure for about a week already. Who knows, maybe it helped, I really do not know yet. But I strongly encourage dog owners to give a try. If these seizures are nutrition-based, then it should work. Because as we all know, regular dog food might miss some essential nutrients.
At the moment, I am looking for a more balanced dog food (which is also more affordable). Thanks again,

Have a great day,

·
Registered
106 Posts
did you check for any bite marks? similar thing happened to my friends dog a few weeks back. back legs became paralized, only difference to yours is that their dog vomitted a few times. turned out to be a snake bite on their face... dog spent the night in the vet and was ok the next day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts