Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I haven't been around in a while 'cause of a very hectic life. We've moved and are in the process of cleaning up the house and surrounding property. About half the junk has been cleared out of the backyard and we have four rooms painted. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif The colors look great! So much better than that drab flat white. That busted garage door will hopefully be getting fixed by the end of the month, and I'll finally be able to return to school!

The reason for this post is a dog-search update. I know I said I'd have one by Spring, but the job situation has been a bear. I'd stil prefer a rescue dog, but as Beagles almost never come into the rescues around here, I may end up buying from a breeder. There is a very nice one out here. Anyone ever heard of Mojave Desert Beagles?

Anyway, the financial situation is looking up, and I'm HOPING I can get a dog by mid-June. My ultimate goal is have one by my birthday, July 7. This waiting has been driving me batty, but there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your fingers crossed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi,

Glad things are looking up.

Hope you will still consider a rescue. Some rescues "deliver" if the homes are good.

Both of my beagles came to Virginia from Louisiana and there are dog transports always looking for drivers that are going on from state to state.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi TD, glad to hear you may have your beagle soon! Have you looked into any of the dogs at Norcal Beagle Rescue? I've looked at their dogs since that's where our next beagle will most likely come from.

There are actually 3 beagle rescues in CA...2 in Northern CA and one in Sothern. Here's a map that shows a clickable map for beagle rescues all over the Country:

http://www.sosbeagles.org/map/

No matter where you get your beagle, I have no doubt it will be one very loved dog. You have been waiting for so long and I'm glad to know your wait will soon be over. Good luck with all your home renovations and school. All fingers and paws will be crossed for you! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Edited to add a link to Beagles and Buddies, which is in the LA area and wasn't on the sos map:

http://www.beaglesandbuddies.com/

Ok, I have GOT to stop looking at these dogs, or I'll have to buy a ranch to house all the ones I want!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am a newbie here, so I am not in the "know" about your whole search, but it sounds like you are getting very close to ready!! That's wonderful!! I also wanted to pass along another idea if you can't get a rescue. Both my boys were 9 months or older when I bought them from a breeder. They were dogs she had as show prospects that didn't work out in the ring. They came to me crate and lead trained, which was nice!! I also know some people who have bought Labs that weren't working out in Field Trial competitions.

It's kinda an inbetween of getting a puppy and rescuing. Anyway, I wasn't sure if a reason for preferring a rescue was to pass the puppy stage!

Can't wait to hear and see pics of your pick!! Good Luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congratulations!!!! I was thinking about you a few days ago.. wondering where you've gone. Looking forward to see the pooch you're getting... rescue or breeder, I'm sure you are well prepared by now!

I think you and Jamie share your birthday... am I right, Jamie?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I checked out Mojave's website. I have to tell you, it would concern me that the kennel is located in one place and the viewing and puppy pick up is in another place. If it were me, I would want to see the actual kennel. JMHO, of course...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Temporarily Dogless may soon be dogless no mor

It's good to hear from you. Will keep fingers and paws crossed that you can meet your goal by your birthday. Will also hope that somehow a rescue beagle will come your way.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

How exciting! I hope you find your puppy soon!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yup. I did check out Beagles and Buddies. Only problem is it's almost 70 miles away! :O I don't mind, but the main question mark is my dad. I don't know how far he's willing to drive and he's my only transportation at this point.

·
Registered
865 Posts

I would be willing to bet someone from that organization would be willing to meet you half way. I don't know if you are able to read profiles of the dogs online or something. Not getting to go and meet all the dogs might not work for you, but I bet someone from the organization could help you pick.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I'm glad to hear that you should be able to get your Beagle soon! I would definitely try to see if one of the rescues can work with you on getting a Beagle. They may be able to meet you with a few dogs that you're interested in so you can choose. I picked Jersey out sight unseen. Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue had a momma' Beagle with a litter of pups. I just told them I wanted the only lemon and white female in the litter.

P.S. I think that your birthday is a great day! It's the same as mine!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm happy things are going well for you and that you're going to get your dog soon. Wherever you get the pup from, I'm sure it will be a well-loved dog. Oh, just wondering...will you change your username once you get your dog? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jersey I picked Jersey out sight unseen. Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue had a momma' Beagle with a litter of pups. I just told them I wanted the only lemon and white female in the litter.
I also chose to adopt Henry and Yodel without meeting them first. Only saw pictures. She let me have Henry without a contract because it was right after the hurricanes and due to high numbers, they relaxed their screening process and let me have him. Then when the rescuer saw how well Henry was doing (to say the least), she let us have Yodel and didn't ask us to sign a contract. All of the other dogs on the transport had contracts but she didn't feel the need to ask us to sign one. That made me feel good.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

My Tanna is "Mojave Dessrt Santana" - both his parents are international field champs and are owned by Don Potts. I've had some dealings with them since I had to send two pups from JoJo and Tanna's first litter to them to pay for Tanna. There is an "extended" family involved - and some of his brothers have kennels, some are out of state. He usually shows puppies from his home instead of the kennel. I have to tell you some of the things I have heard - that not all dogs are from his lines - he does a lot of "trading", as he did with me - however my JoJo's lines are just about as impressive as Tanna's. He got $700 for one of my little girls and $800 for the other - which is more than he advertises his dogs for on the site - but that's because of their pedigrees. I do have all Tanna's "papers", DNA testing, etc., and he has an awesome pedigree and he is a beautiful little dog. However, if you are just getting a "pet" - you may NOT be getting a pup from the Mojave Desert Lines. He's been known to get 8-10 puppies for one of his dogs - and the pups don't have to be from "superior" lines. Don does have some great dogs - and there are many champions in his lines. I have an internet buddy whose husband raises field champions and he's drooling at the thought of getting one of JoJo and Tanna's puppies to train from this upcoming litter. Since you aren't interested in breeding, but just getting a puppy as a pet, Mojave Desert is probably all right. We had a big problem with him about vaccinations - but that was a personal thing between their policy, my vet's policy and who I trust with my dogs - my vet wins every time! I don't plan to deal with them in the future, but it's certainly one of the biggest beagle kennels in the US, and he does have some awesome beagles. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. Glenda
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for the advice! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I really don't like to adopt a dog sight unseen. They do have pictures and short profiles up for each dog, but I'd much rather go there in person for a meet-and-greet. Besides, they're so picky themselves about who gets their dogs I don't think they'd be willing to do that (meet halfway). They've got a LOT of detailed questions on their adoption applications; how high the fence is, which yards are fenced, where the dog will be living (indoors, outdoors, or both), if there's young kids in the house, other pets, etc.

Beaglesmom: Wow, thank you so much for all that info on Mojave Desert Beagles! I really couldn't care less about lines and pedigree (heck I grew up with mutts!). All I care about is if the dog is healthy and friendly. Going to a breeder is still a last resort for me. If I do, though, you can be sure I'm going to ask questions like crazy.

Boeing's Mom: Yes, I am definately planning on changing my username, though to what, I have no idea.

One thing I definately have to put on my 'shopping list' is a camera!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Originally Posted By: jen-n-jersey I picked Jersey out sight unseen. Tampa Bay Beagle Rescue had a momma' Beagle with a litter of pups. I just told them I wanted the only lemon and white female in the litter.
I too "ordered" Chloe without seeing her face to beagle face first...

Originally Posted By: jen-n-jersey
P.S. I think that your birthday is a great day! It's the same as mine!
Oooops, so it's you and not Jamie.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

·
Registered
182 Posts

Originally Posted By: TemporarilyDoglessThanks for the advice! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Besides, they're so picky themselves about who gets their dogs I don't think they'd be willing to do that (meet halfway). They've got a LOT of detailed questions on their adoption applications; how high the fence is, which yards are fenced, where the dog will be living (indoors, outdoors, or both), if there's young kids in the house, other pets, etc.
Keep in mind they are trying to place dogs that have already ended up at the pound or been surrendered so they want to be sure that everything is right this time. We have adopted from NorCal Beagle twice now. Buster was surrendered to the pound in Monterey (because he shed too much), and Boomer was a runaway from the Fresno area. When we got Buster we met with his foster mom at her home and had to bring Blaze with us to be sure everything went fine and so they could check us out in person. With Boomer, they "knew" us so we picked him up from his foster mom in a Burger King parking lot - lol!

I was recently looking for breeder for future reference (I know, there is something wrong with me) and I found that there are a lot of breeders in the San Diego area. Don't know if that is closer or farther for you. A good breeder will ask the same questions that a good rescue asks. They want to be sure they are placing their puppies into the best situation possible.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

Glad to hear of your success with NorCal rescue, Beagle Chaser. We're in Fresno, so we'll have to travel to find our beag when the time comes (though I have been trying to explain to Dave that Duke could really use a friend now that's closer to him in age to play out some of his energy!LOL) and NorCal seems to be a great organization and that's where I'd like to look if I can't find one around here. Since I have family up there, at least we can spend some time and take Duke (labs can't travel that long).

1 - 20 of 72 Posts