Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week, Hubby and I have left the girls outside in our fenced in backyard. We take them out when we get up, bring them in for a few minutes to eat and then back outside.....that is if we can get them in for a few minutes to eat.

They can not stop *hunting* or (I think the term is) tonguing. I even took out a brand new bone this morning and put it in front of their noses and they couldn't bother looking up long enough to see what I had. Their noses are constantly tapping the ground (along with their tails going a thousand wags per second!)and I image if they could bruise, the noses would be solid purple.

Not only are the Girls out all day, but they also get lots of walks so I don't think exercise is a problem. I just need someone to tell me that this is normal and it will pass or that this is their nature and just how they are. Gosh knows I don't want to have crazy dogs!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
:hysterical:

You're dogs aren't crazy. You just described a normal pair of beags.

Do they make a baying noise also? It could be, you have a critter visiting your yard regularly that demands their attention.

They also have puppy energy to burn; things will calm down a bit in a year or two :rolleye11:

·
Registered
991 Posts
I always look at it as a very highly tuned and sensitive engineering instrument that is attached to the end of their face! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

My three will sit on the back steps and I just love to watch the nose twitch back and forth. They are just sampling the air currents for anything new and anything that might be of Beagle interest. :hi:

Yours are probably still calibrating their instruments to what is reallllllly important to them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i agree with debannib on this. they are just doing what beagle dogs do best. you do probably have a yard visitor. no big deal.
besides, i think all beagles are just a lil crazy.
if they werent, we might not love them the way we do. cant stop loving those crazy beagles!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
i think all beagles are just a lil crazy.
if they werent, we might not love them the way we do. cant stop loving those crazy beagles!
:sleepy: . I want them to be house dogs but they are leaning the other way I fear! The lady we got the Girls from had their Mom out in the snow when we picked out the Girls /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif . I was appalled when she told me that the Mama refused to come inside at night.

Thanks for the hope! I knew ya'll would understand!

·
Registered
439 Posts
tammy

theres an old saying that ive seen ring true time and again. you can take a inside dog out, but not an outside dog in.
its you that will make them what they will become. if you train them for outside then thats where they will be. as soon as they start staying out for the night, its pretty much over then.
so you might want to think twice before you leave them out like that. then it will get to the point every noise they hear they will bark their heads off. this isnt always true, but more often than not it is.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking over at the calm sleeping Girls all prezeled up together on the couch. They will be inside night Girls...but maybe outside day Girls!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
They have discovered back yard hunting. Do they sound like chickens cackling? That is how mine sound when they are on a scent trail. You probably have a critter visiting your back yard and leaving its scent. This drives mine crazy and nothing will tempt them to come inside when on a scent trail. Mine completely ignore me when on a good scent trail.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds normal to me too! I think Gage would live outside if he could too. Whenever we have snow, he'll sit next to the door until someone lets him out. It's probably a lot more interesting outside with all the scents to sniff, roll in and dig in, and all the creatures running and flying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.