Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our vet looked at Sadie's teeth while we were in this week and said she has some plack on the back teeth. She said Sadie may need her teeth cleaned this year. Sadie and Pooh are 9 years old. I don't want her to go under anesthesia. She had a back reaction to anesthia before.

Does everyone brush their dogs teeth? I want to start trying to do this. I have tried a few times, but I haven't pushed it with them.

What other things can they chew on or eat that can clean their teeth naturally? They eat a dry kibble now. Although Sadie inhales hers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I brush Squeegee's teeth about once a week. I know that it should be more but I figure that's better than nothing. If you get the doggy toothpaste that is enzymatic it is supposed to eat the plaque and calculus even if you aren't able to brush all of the areas. Greenies, raw hides, raw bones and anything else that rubs against their teeth is helpful in removing the plaque and calculus.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We've gotten the enzymatic toothpaste for the boys, and it works fairly well, gives them beef breath, but better than going under and those side effects. They will have to have a cleaning too this year, but we are going to try and time it with another visit, so that things can be done in tandem. Ask the vet if there is another way to clean her teeth other than putting her out....she can't be the only pup that has had trouble.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ahh, I tried to brush Roscoe's teeth a few times and it was an exhausting experience! He thought I was trying to play and went nuts! I have the little brush that goes over your finger and he got it off, was running with it, it was like a comedy scene from a bad movie!

His teeth are in good shape though and I just started feeding him only dry food, and he has a dental bone that is supposed to be good for his teeth and gums.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I recently watched a show on Animal Planet and they indicated that brushing a dog's teeth doesn't really do anything but cause everyone grief. They suggest having a dental cleaning at the vets and stated that it is really the only way. I don't know if there is a way to do it without putting them under, but it would certainly be worth asking.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My wife bought these latex gloves at PetsMart that have a toothbrush on a finger. This way she can brush his teeth but not get dog slobber all over your hands. They are a bit expensive but you can use them several times before you have to throw them out. He puts up with the toothbrushing because he loves the toothpaste and the earcleaning because he gets a breathmint afterwards.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I brush all 4 of the dogs' teeth every other day. Traveler's had dental problems, and the frequent brushing has helped keep his teeth cleaner. I use a dog toothpaste and a soft toothbrush.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I brush one of my greyhounds teeth every day. The other one has such bad teeth and gums (and is 10 years old) so i use a dental gel which is really starting to help. I got the gel at Petsmart. Molly is still too skittish for the toothbrush, so I use the dental stuff in their water and also this Easy Brush thing that she loves! I put toothpaste on it and let her have it like a chew toy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I just ordered 2 of the above Easy brushes. They love to chew on toys, they should love this with some of the beef flavor enzyme toothpaste for doggies.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
They will love the Easy Brushes! Just be sure to check them from time to time while chewing to make sure their gums don't bleed. Molly gets into hers so much I have to take it away.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I haven't tried brushing Menolly's teeth yet (bad mommy!) but I don't think she'd mind. I've gotten her used to me lookign in her mouth and massaging her gums. I'll start with a peice of gauze around ym finger and then get her a brush.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow I have never cleaned a dog's teeth and never heard of anyone doing it either. You learn something new every day. Bazel's teeth are good as far as I know.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have never cleaned our dogs teeth. What works is giving them a carrot everyday. Cut the green end off first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts