Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My Sherry has a problem. A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of her nipples (teats) was bleeding. I thought she had just scratched it so didn’t think anything of it as it healed up in a few days. Yesterday I noticed a few spots of blood in her bed so checked her nipple thinking she had scratched it again but it was fine. So I checked her all over and found that another nipple on the other side is bleeding and there is a large lump that stretches from one nipple to the next. The lump isn’t attached to anything and is soft so I’m hoping it’s just inflammation.

Do you think it’s just a coincidence that she’s scratched two nipples that are far apart from each other or is something bad going on. For anyone that doesn’t know Sherry is an ex breeding bitch from a puppy farm and has had many litters in her life. Up until now she has never had a single problem with her nipples.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It could be something simple like two scratces or something more serious like an infection. Let your vet sort it out. Its better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
After doing some online research into this I found some helpful information. It might be Mastitis(infection), which can be caused by numerous things.

You may want to apply a hot compress 4 times a day for 10 minutes and keep the teats clean with an antibacterial soap. Using a hot compress will help increase the blood flow to the area and helps to carry the infection away.

For the hot compress take a wash cloth or hand towel, get it wet and ring it out so its barely damp. Put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and check that its not too hot for your own skin. Place it on her, apply firm even pressure and hold it on the nipples until the cloth cools down. Continue to reheat the towel as often as is necessary but the hot compress should be done for app. 10 minutes each time.

If she should develop any other symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, or if the discharge looks more like pus, then I think you should take her to a vet as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your help everyone. I'm taking her to the vets today because yesterday I went out and when I got home there was vomit everywhere but I don't know which dog done it because they both seemed fine. Her teats aren't swollen at all, it's just inbetween them but I have cleaned them well and put some nappy rash cream on them because the one that was bleeding doesn't look good at all.

I'll keep you informed and thanks Donna for taking the time to research for me xx

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back from the vet and he thinks it could be Mastitis but wasn't 100% sure as she wasn't displaying all the usual symptoms.

He's given her 10 days worth of antibiotics and if it is Mastitis they will work and the lump will go down. If the lump doesn't disappear then they will operate.

Thanks for your help x

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi jennifer
Glad that Sherri is OK
How is she doing with her other health problems now?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Vonny,

She's doing better than expected really. She shows no signs of slowing down even though her heart condition is very advanced. There are no other signs of tumours so we are keeping our fingers crossed that whatever this lump is it isn't a return of her cancer.

Thanks for asking...hope your brood are all well x

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. There is no change yet but she's only been taking them 2 1/2 days. She has 10 days worth to take so I'm hoping they will kick in soon.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just thought I'd update on her lump.

It's still there so today I took her back to the vets for a check up. They have decided to do nothing. I'm only to take her back if the lump gets bigger, gets hard or feels like it is attaching itself to her. At the moment it is soft and you can kind of move it around.

She seems happy, energetic and not in any pain so I'm happy too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's good to hear.I was thinking today that there would be an update soon.
Good wishes to Sherry.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Keeping our fingers crossed that its nothing serious. our first two beagles had lumps on their teats, the first one (Bilbo) was harmless, the second one (Spotty) was cancer. However, neither bled. Hope the antibiotics work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts