Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a teacup beagle today, half the size of Charlie. Charlie is only 26 lb, smaller size beagle.
She barked at Charlie because Charlie was barking really loud at her first. She has a scatchy voice as if she is still learning how to bark. It is so cute.

·
Registered
847 Posts
This is an excerpt from an email I recently received from a beagle breeder we know.

I raise the Olde English Pocket Beagles from the foundation started by Robert Mock. If you go to the web site of classicpocketbeagles.com or pocketbeagles4u.com you will be able to read the history of this beagle. They are now extinct in England, Ireland, & Scotland.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have been told that many of the beagles sold in my area as pocket beagles have hip defects. I saw one about a month ago at the grocery store. He was tiny and I thought he was an amazingly well trained pup. The owner told me he is a pocket beagle and several years old.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The terms Teacup or Pocket beagles are not good to use. It makes people believe this size breed still exists. It doesn't. This size beagle is extinct and is so for many reasons, mostly because of poor genetics. This breed was meant to literally fit in a coat pocket.

What you saw was probably an undersized 13 beagle. The small beagles to occur naturally, but are not the norm. Our Kali is a small 13 beagle. She all of 15 lbs and maybe 12 at the withers if she is lucky.

Summer is a 15 beagle. This is the size difference between Kali and Summer. Kali is that much smaller, but she is not a pocket or teacup. She is just a petite 13.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a small female beagle that lives a couple of houses down from me. The owner says she was the runt of the litter. She is all of about 8-10lbs.

Buddy towers over her. Very funny.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
personally i dislike the pocket beagle craze like stated above it was indeed a breed meant to fit into the saddle pocket of hunters, but is now gone. which means all pocket beagls nowadays are just runts that are cross bred to produce tiny pups, i've heard many horror stories, ranging from mother dogs dying because they were too small to carry the pups to term, to the dogs themselves having multiple defects from breeding unhealthy small dogs. I've seen pictures of 10 inch beags and it honestly doesn't look good to me but i guess to each their own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts