Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
We taught the puppies by holding down their bottoms when we put the food in front of them. That helped them to learn not to stand when we wanted them to lay down. The other thing is that we associated a hand signal - palm flat, facing down toward the ground, with the food hidden beneath, held by the thumb. If you're consistent and work for a period of time each day with Georgia, she'll get it in no time.

The puppies learned to associate the hand signal with the command, and they do really well (when they want to) with following.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: Dinozyea i'm actually using the food below the nose method to teach mine to stand, rather than lay down. i think i will need to use the 'capture & praise' method for lay down as they get quite restless if i try hold their bum down while putting food below them
I would say if they get restless, try not to work on the training too long. Give it a couple tries and then, after they've done it a few times, reward them and then take a break.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.