Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
she knows sit & sit pertty or as we say pretty
I now want to teach her down meaning lie down how do I go about doing this any Idears she pick up very quickly once she knows what I want it is just getting her to understand me as to what I want her to do
thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
If I recall correctly from our puppy training class:
1. Ask your dog to sit.
2. with a treat in hand, hold the treat in front of your dog to get his/her attention.
3. bring the treat down to the ground.

The idea is the dog should lower themselves to the ground and as he/she lays, praise and release the treat. Rinse and repeat!

That's what I remember doing for Java and Lilo and it worked for them. Good luck!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ditto on what Java & Lilo and theregalbeagle said. Make sure you're consistent on the word you use-we use down with Murphy.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: kathy5we have been trying this I went to you tube to see any videos
she keeps getting up from sit & walking towatrds the treat
any thoughts?
As your following the instructions, you can GENTLY press her from above to help her understand what you want her to do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When we took Ben to training, this is how we were instructed. Get Georgia in a sit position. Show her that you have a treat in your hand by putting it close to her nose. Lower your hand to the floor and hold the treat between her front paws. Say down at the same time. She should lie down right there. Give her the treat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: *silleb*When we took Ben to training, this is how we were instructed. Get Georgia in a sit position. Show her that you have a treat in your hand by putting it close to her nose. Lower your hand to the floor and hold the treat between her front paws. Say down at the same time. She should lie down right there. Give here the treat.
yes, ensure that you have the treat close to Georgia's nose so that she doesnt have to get up from the Sit position to get closer to the treat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
People here have advised the use of a food lure to get the down, and that is the method that most trainers/owners will use. It isn't your only option, and as you've found, luring can be kind of tricky, when you dog gets up to get the treat. Also, once you take the lure away, the dog needs to figure out what it is that you actually want, since she got reinforced for pursuing the treat before and now it's gone.
I like to capture behaviours. It takes a bit of patience and good timing, but once you capture, the dog learns FAST. The idea is that you wait for the dog to offer the behaviour. Dogs do lie down on their own, all the time. Have some treats ready (and here's the patient part) and wait for your dog to lie down. The second she does it, GO WILD! YES, GOOD DOG, HURRAY! And offer a treat. Your dog thinks, whoa, I just did something really good, and if your timing was good and you praised RIGHT when she did it, then it won't take long for her to do it again.
Capture the lie-down with praise and treats every time you see Georgia do it. After you've captured six to ten lie-downs, you can start using a cue word, down or lie down when you see Georgia start to lie down. She'll associate this new word with the behaviour that gets her so much praise. After you sneak in the cue word DURING the behaviour about six to ten times, you should be able to start asking for the behaviour, no lure needed, and Georgia will happily drop down!
Best of luck!

Tamara

·
Registered
287 Posts
We taught the puppies by holding down their bottoms when we put the food in front of them. That helped them to learn not to stand when we wanted them to lay down. The other thing is that we associated a hand signal - palm flat, facing down toward the ground, with the food hidden beneath, held by the thumb. If you're consistent and work for a period of time each day with Georgia, she'll get it in no time.

The puppies learned to associate the hand signal with the command, and they do really well (when they want to) with following.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That's great!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
yea i'm actually using the food below the nose method to teach mine to stand, rather than lay down. i think i will need to use the 'capture & praise' method for lay down as they get quite restless if i try hold their bum down while putting food below them

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: Dinozyea i'm actually using the food below the nose method to teach mine to stand, rather than lay down. i think i will need to use the 'capture & praise' method for lay down as they get quite restless if i try hold their bum down while putting food below them
I would say if they get restless, try not to work on the training too long. Give it a couple tries and then, after they've done it a few times, reward them and then take a break.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.