Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on drop it with Regal using the great tips offered to me on this forum last week. He is definitley improving but we still have some work ahead.

I either play a fetch game with him and have him drop it when he brings it back - or when he picks up a toy on his own and wants to play, we practice the drop.

Problem is that once he realizes I have treats - he's no longer interested in playing! He sits without being told and is on best behavior - just expecting me to dole out treats.

So I have to leave the treats in kitchen - or work as a double team with my husband to secretly hand him the treats. This is turning into more of a work out for me than an obdeience exercise for him!

Thanks again for the tips...

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you are teaching him drop it when playing fetch or playing with a toy, why do you need to have separate treats?

I would use the toy you are playing with to reward the dog! If he wants to chase the ball, get him to 'drop it' when he brings it back, give some verbal praise and then reward him by throwing it again.

The same when you are playing with a toy - I do it when I am playing tug with my beagle. I use the command 'give', and 'ok'. I say 'ok' to signify that she can grab the toy and while she is tugging, I say give. When she releases I say good girl!! and then ok to reward her with more tugging.

Hope that makes sense...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts