Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Oscar is very protective of the home. He starts barking like crazy when he hears someone at the door or when other people come over. Since we live in a townhouse, he can get pretty noisy at times (luckily he doesn't bark very much in general, it's just when he decides to do so, he's LOUD). I don't mind him giving us a couple of warning barks, but I'd like him to stop when I give the command "quiet".

So far teaching Oscar quiet is not quite so successful. He can really rile himself up with the barking, and at times the only way to calm him down in giving him the "go home" command (he goes back into his crate) and give him a five minute time out.

Anyway, so I was doing research online and read many posts saying that one good way of curbing excess barking is to teach the dog to bark on cue (the "speak" command). Has anyone else tried this? And if so, is it successful?

I am thinking of spending this weekend having my dad ring the doorbell everytime I give Oscar the "speak" command. He always bark when he hears the doorbell, and hopefully I can both teach him the cue and also de-sensitize him from the doorbell.

Any suggestions or thought?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I think it sounds like a productive weekend if you can accomplish the task. I wish you success! I'm sure it will be easier on the nerves, if Oscar can greet guests warmly.

I have a book by Gerily J. Bielakiewicz, 'The Everything Dog Training and Tricks Book' which addresses excessive barking. I'm sure there are other great trainers out there with great info too.

(I admit to being negligent to Maggie's training lately due to family commitments, but she needs training in the same area. :freak: ) GOOD LUCK

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I have heard that advice before. During puppy classes, one of the other dogs was having this problem and that was the suggestion that the trainer gave them. She said that once the dog learns to bark on command that they should stop barking at the times they shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
This is definitely the best way to teach a dog to stop barking. Once barking becomes an activity, a reply to a command, it is easy to teach the dog to stop barking.

Also, I have always trained my pups not to bark excessively by simply teaching them the command "thank you".
Each time someone comes to the door, I follow the dog who rushes barking at the door while saying" Let's go see who it is". Once at the door, I simply carry the dog on my left arm, using my left hand to scratch his chest and with my right hand around his nose gently keeping it close I say in a very calm voice "Thank you". Then I open the door still carrying my dog, and only release the nose once the person is in. Soon enough, the dog learns to stop barking as soon as I say thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts