Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Sherry has a serious heart condition and she has deteriorated quite rapidly in the last 2 weeks.

I took her to the vets yesterday and her medication has been changed.

My reason for posting is my vet told me she must drink some tea everyday. Strong tea with no milk or sugar.

I was in such a state to find out how bad her heart failure is that I never actually asked what good drinking tea will do for her.

I've looked on the internet loads but can find no reference to tea drinking being beneficial to dogs apart from making their coats shiny.

I've read on the contrary that caffeine is bad for dogs but luckily the only tea I have in the house is de-caffeinated anyway so she's been getting that.

She's got another check-up appointment on Saturday when I can ask him but thought I'd ask you all in the meantime.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Jennifer and sorry to hear about Sherry!

I would ask: What kind of tea? Black, green? Also Hot, warm, cold? And what are the benefits?

I have a feeling the caffeine has something to do with blood flow? Thats just my guess....

Keep us updated and your in my prayers....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The only thing I know about tea is that if a dog eats a tea bag it is really bad, like poisonous to them or something. I've never heard of it being beneficial in any way. I am very curious why your vet would suggest this so I hope you will re-post after you get some answers from them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry to hear about Sherry's decline -- I did a search via google and found references that indicated caffeine-free green tea (sugar free and with no sugar substitutes) is good for dogs with heart disease and/or cancer due to high level anti-oxidants in the tea.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've heard the same thing that Judy reported.

Originally Posted By: judymaggieSorry to hear about Sherry's decline -- I did a search via google and found references that indicated caffeine-free green tea (sugar free and with no sugar substitutes) is good for dogs with heart disease and/or cancer due to high level anti-oxidants in the tea.

Jennifer - so sorry to hear the news - Sherry will be in the Bagel and my nightly prayers!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all your replies.

My DH said he thought it was probably the anti-oxidants in tea that are beneficial. I've just Googled anti-oxidants in tea and green and black (what I consider normal tea) have large amounts of it. I guess that is probably why the vet suggested it then but I'm concerned that he never said make sure it's caffeine free because I would not want her to have caffeine, I don't even like to have it myself.

I'll let you all know after Saturday what he says about it and how she is...thanks again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sorry to read that Sherry's not doing well.
I've not heard of the tea remedy before, and will be interested to learn if it's beneficial. Healing thoughts coming your way.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: beagletailsThe only thing I know about tea is that if a dog eats a tea bag it is really bad, like poisonous to them or something. I've never heard of it being beneficial in any way. I am very curious why your vet would suggest this so I hope you will re-post after you get some answers from them.
!!! omg really??? .......teddy eats Tea bags all the time. omg i'm gonna be soo paranoid about him doing that now. Do you know what exactly makes them poisonous??

Sorry to hear about Sherry's heart condition. Not sure about how the tea can help but my dog goes after it if anyone leaves their mug on the ground. (usually just chamomile, or blacktea) I hope she feels better.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am very sorry your Sherry is so sick ((()))

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am sorry Sherry isn't doing well. I will be very curious to hear what the vet tells you about the tea.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your well wishes....Sherry says thanks too

I've just got back from the vet and he is pleased with her progress so far with the new drugs she is on but sadly there will come a time when the drugs won't help anymore but at the moment there is some improvement.

I asked him about the tea and he said as well as antioxidants it also contains an ingredient called Theophylline. Theophylline comes from the family of xanthine stimulants and can be used in the treatment of congestive heart failure.

Also even de-caffeinated tea still contains some caffeine and as this has a diuretic affect that's also good for Sherry as she tends to get a build up of fluid. She is already on diuretic tablets but he's trying to find a more natural way to manage her symptoms as the poor girl is very dosed up on different medications.

She's also got mastitis which isn't responding to antibiotics. The best way forward for this would be an operation to remove the mammary canals on the affected side of her body but her heart would not be able to cope with an operation right now.

Plus she has a problem with one of her eyes. The third eyelid keeps coming over and it's watery and red and the lower lid hangs down sometimes. I thought she had an infection but he said that this is a symptom of her heart failure and quite common. I'm not convinced he is right though otherwise surely both eyes would be affected.

Anyway, Sherry is a fighter for sure, this time last year she was given 6 weeks to live and here she still is

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I will keep you and Sherry in my prayers. I am glad she has been able to have a good year with you.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear about Sherry but hope she manages to fight this latest episode. The tea treatment is most interesting, I'll have to ask our vet about that.. Re her mastitis, does she get this after a false pregnancy? Our first beagle had it a lot, we used to get medication for her but not sure what it was. Our last beagle, Spotty, had terrible false pregnancies and occasionally they resulted in mastitis. We were told to discourage her by removing all soft toys (that she 'nursed')to try and end the false pregnancies as quickly as possible.
We are thinking of you and hope Sherry pulls through.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone.

Doghouse - I don't think Sherry has ever had a false pegnancy. She has been spayed and has never shown any signs of this before. She's had 3 different types of antibiotics and none have worked although this time I think there is some improvement. She has a lump that stretches from one teat to the next and one of the teats is constantly leaking a clear liquid but she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts