Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
This is my beagle, Boomer. he is 6 months old.
He seems to be growing beyond the guidelines on the beagle size ranges. Currently he is 19 inches tall at the withers and weighs 35 pounds. His mother was a pocket beagle around 13 inches and his farther was a 15 inch beagle. Do you think he is a mix of anything else?

The first photo is when he was 3 months old (16 pounds) and the 2nd was taken a few days go.
Dog Scent hound Collar Floor Carnivore
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Working animal

Dog Scent hound Carnivore Shelf Fawn

Attachments

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Sure looks like all beagle and has the markings. He does look big in height and weight. He is a handsome dog. I imagine he's reached his full growth. Just be careful he doesn't get overweight.
Cassie says hi..she's a 15inch and weighs 28 pounds.
Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Grass

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
He eats a huge amount of food but we walk him 2 to 3 miles a day during the week and around 10 miles on the weekend. He is always hungry but we make sure he is feed the same amount 3 times a day and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Cassie is always hungry too. I feed 2 regular size meals and a 3rd smaller one later to carry her through the night. Try adding canned low sodium green beans or carrots as a filler that doesn't add much calories
Cassie here...
Does he like older girls? Im 10yrs old now.
Dog Comfort Tartan Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Another tip..keep the treats small. Those add calories too. I buy a soft dog biscuit and give 1/3 of it. They just know they got a treat ..not that they didn't get the whole thing. Some people use kibble..i dont happen to feed kibble but a few pieces should do as a reward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Our beagle Loki is now about 4 months old and looks a lot like yours in age and size. Both his parents are 13 inch beagles so we are wondering the same as you.

Our last beagle, who passed away before Christmas was only 11 pounds at 4 months of age. He was a normal 15 inch, 30 pound adult.

We are beginning to wonder if there is something in Loki's woodpile as well. Dog Vertebrate Scent hound Mammal Dog breed

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Maybe a bit of a walker coonhound? Hs he been neutered yet? I think if they are neutered before a year, they can end up being bigger too.
That's my understanding as well - early neutering can cause the dog to be taller, at least. I'm not sure what the mechanism is.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Boomer is gorgeous!
If not purebred, foxhounds and harriers are common in the genetics of larger beagles that are not pure-bred, but your dog could have received the tall genes (e.g., my brother is 6'4" and I'm 5'2", our parents were tall but my grandfather was short). Genetics (DNA analysis) can tell much about your dog. Reputable breeders do a DNA analysis on the parents before breeding to ensure conformance to standard and health.

You mentioned the mother was a pocket beagle - no such thing (true British pocket beagles, about 9" in height, are extinct). A breeder claiming to have a pocket beagle either has a small beagle or has bred it smaller using smaller non-beagle breeds (usually dachshunds to maintain the hound look) to create a "pocket" beagle.

The Canadian Kennel Club (as does the US AKC) recognizes 2 sizes of beagles, the first being for beagles not exceeding 13 inches in height and the second not exceeding 15 inches in height. If the Mom was 13 inches, she's a standard size beagle.

I love seeing all the beagle photos, I'm just about ready to get on a breeder list for a beagle - I'm waiting for retirement. Fingers crossed - this summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres a little update. He is now 20 inches tall at the withers and his weight is 44 pounds. Doesn't look as tall in photos anymore because he isn't as skinny any more.
Dog Vertebrate Mammal Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Scent hound Wood Carnivore Floor

Dog Comfort Scent hound Dog breed Carnivore

1 - 20 of 21 Posts