Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to the vet today with Beagle Lillie. Saw a new Doc. He moved her joints and neck. Pain in the neck. He did more blood work. White blood count went from too little to too much, so he knows there is an infection. He is trying another new stronger antibodic in addition to baytril and a muscle relaxer and anti inflammonity (he also thinks it *could* be a basic neck injury, not sure exactly why). I guess the next 48 hrs will tell.

I need some info on menigitis. OMG Have I waited to late to treat her? What is the treatment? I think I would rather die myself then put her through much more.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so sorry you and Lillie are going with us. I wish I had some information to share with you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is not much better. About noon, I had decided to take a shower and take her on and put her to sleep, but amazingly she decided she needed one more last hurrah and went outside to lay in the sun. She chased a squirrel even but since then has been so stiff and in pain. We are giving her the muscle relaxers still but feel that tomorrow and one more trip to the vet will give us the answers as to whether to bring her home to heal or bury. I just don't know if I can put her through the painful spinal tap only to find out that waiting a week to start steriod treatment is not going to help. Hubby is beside himself because he has never had a young dog so sick. He is used to seeing them grow old and die, not get sick young and die.

This is going to be the hardest decision I am ever going to have to make.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Don't be so quick to put her in the grave. If there is a chance or a recovery, then the pain getting there is worth it. Trust me on this, you will regret not doing all that you can. I have been through more than most beagle owners with my Murphy, Summer, and Kali. Try and trust in your vet, but if you have doubts, get a second opinion.

Elevated white cells can be cause any any number of things: from infections (most common), to an injury, to leukemia (been there).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She is gone now. She was almost 90% paralyzed this morning. No more pain. We are okay, a little empty but now she is chasing those rabbits with her nose to the ground and tail wagging in the air.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Tammy, I am so sorry to hear of Lillie's passing. Your heart must be breaking. We never have enough time with them. My prayers for you and your family. Try to remember the good times. It help, slowly, but it does help.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Words cannot express how sorry I am for you Tammy. May Lillie rest in peace. You and your family are all in my thoughts and prayers. Going to go cry now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts