Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question!

Bianca is just about 5 months right now, and she was born with a broken tail. Kinked at the end (almost resembling an L), and the vet hasn't been worried about it in her visits.

One thing I have noticed though, is I don't think her tail has grown. Maybe it's stunted? Right now I just measured it and its 5. I'm sure that other 5 month Beagles tails are longer than that. Do you think it'll stay this length? I have attached a picture to show what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
She still looks pretty tiny and the tail seems to match her body size. Molly is 20 pounds and her tail is pretty tiny. (Can't measure it because she is sleeping on it right now!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's really hard to tell in that picture, but the white part at the end, the bone in the tail is kinked like a 90 degree angle.

Bianca is about 15-17 lbs right now, how old is Molly?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Funny you bring this issue up now. Just last week we had Gino, our 6 year old beagle/basset mix who we adopted last March, at the vet for his regular shots. He has a stumpy tail and the people at the rescue didn't know what happened (if it was docked or he got hurt).
The vet just told us that b/c of the way the vertebrae are shaped and the tip is crooked, it is a birth defect.
So, if that is the case with Bianca, it may stay that way. I don't know but it doesn't seem to bother Gino, he still wags it like crazy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I definitely think it was a birth defect as we got Bianca directly from the breeder at 7 weeks old. She does wag her tail a lot, and don't think that it bothers her other than the fact that she'll periodically get it stuck on something which forces out a little yelp!

·
Registered
959 Posts
We have two deformed beagles. One I did, when Cobi was a puppy, now 9 years old, he didn't get in the door fast enough and it caught his tail about three inches from his rear. He tail is fat up to that point, and then gets very skinny to the tip. It still works as his rutter, so I guess he's okay.

Casie was born with a large chest bone. That is why he can't be bred or shown and why his mother gave him to us. She calls it a deformity, we call it a Casie bone. When we first got him, it was well pronounced, but now that he has grown into his body, it's not soooo bad. We just call him Casie.

If you wanted to show her, yea, that would be problem. But if you want a loyal gal-pal and friend, Bianca, looks like a winner to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is about 5 years old. We got her two years ago from a shelter. I can see her tail now while she is sleeping and its pretty short

Here is a back view of Miss Molly:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts