Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big pet peeve of giving dogs food from your plate or the table in general. My mother in law is always giving Shelby something from the counter or her own plate because she feels bad watching her beg but I am very against it, especially with beagles who have a tentancy to put on weight. She will be watching her for a few days while we're out of town this weekend and I would like some ideas how to tell her not to feed Shelby people food while we're gone and in general.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could always just say that your concerned she's getting on the hefty side and that you're trying to reduce what she eats to just her needed amount of dog food. I'm not sure what you little one looks like, so not sure if that will fly.
Also inform her that beagles can gain weight swiftly to the point of being over weight. That there are health reasons as to why you want things done your way.
You could also supply healthy snacks that way if she wants to give her something special she has something that you've approved of.

·
Registered
443 Posts
<span style="font-size: 11pt"> Could you explain to her that there are some table scraps that just aren't good for any dog and Beagles especially can put on weight super easy and that excess weight can lead to health problems. Our Beagles can develop Diabetes, heart conditions and not to mention back and joint problems from excess weight. Certain foods just are not meant to be eaten by dogs. (my Beaglebratz and I know other Beagles love cottage cheese, grated cheese, peanut butter, bits of carrots or apples (NO SEEDS), PLAIN sweet potatoes, brown rice) In other words, maybe suggest a few SAFE people foods that could be given - AS A TREAT ONLY! But put it in the dog's food bowl - feeding from the table is only encouraging bad behavior - feeding from your plate can also lead to bad behavior such as nipping and growling - aggressive behavior and I hate to say it but yes, Beagles can become aggressive when it comes to food when allowed.

Good Luck. </span>

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could also give her a few examples of foods such as chocolate, grapes and onions that could potentially be fatal to dogs, then make her believe that there are many other common foods that have the same effect (which is not a lie), but then don't tell her what these foods are so she wont feed it from her plate out of fear that she could be feeding it a deadly poison to the dog.... that may work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts