Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age should i do this? Luigi doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of his puppy food, and i cant afford to try 10 different brands to find which puppy chow he likes. What i do know is that last weekend, when he stayed with the in-laws for a few days, he ate the adult food they have for their dog and loved it...Luigi is 4 days away from being 5 months old.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would say that at 5 months he's too young to be switched. They need the extra protein, vitamins and nutrients that puppy food contains in order to grow properly.

I switched to Junior food at about 8 months then on to adult at 12 months.

I'm surprised that he didn't get an upset tummy when he stayed with the in-laws and was given a different food because such a sudden change normally does that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: JenniferI would say that at 5 months he's too young to be switched. They need the extra protein, vitamins and nutrients that puppy food contains in order to grow properly.

I switched to Junior food at about 8 months then on to adult at 12 months.

I'm surprised that he didn't get an upset tummy when he stayed with the in-laws and was given a different food because such a sudden change normally does that.
If anything the excrement was more solid, and bigger.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I use this very nutritious puppy food, nutra something or other, and the in-laws were feeding their's kibbles n bits. Puppy seemingly prefers kibbles n bits.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Daisy is still like that. Sometimes she eats in the morning but more often than not she waits until the afternoon. She may or may not eat dinner. She has food available to her whenever so I know she's not starving.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
My vet recommended that we keep Maggie on puppy food for the first year. I'll be switching to brand number four after I finish this bag of Merrick, as she doesn't seem to be diggin' it too much.

I posted in another thread about the hand feeding problem I was having with her, and I THOUGHT we had moved beyond that, but apparently not, as she hasn't eaten since yesterday morning. I'm hoping she'll eat tonight, but if she doesn't, I guess I'll be heading to the pet store tomorrow for a different brand. *sigh*

·
Registered
862 Posts
I swiched mine at about 11 months old. Luckily, Boeing has always devoured his food with great gusto from puppy to adulthood. I fed him three times a day when he was a puppy and down to two when we switched to adult food. At feeding time, the poor guy always acts like he has never seen food in his entire life.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry was a very picky eater when we adopted him. He came from the shelter with Science Diet, and totally refused to eat it. He was skinny anyway, and I had wanted to make the switch over to Pro Plan. I switched him gradually, and though the little stinker ate Pro plan readily at first, he quickly clammed up on me. So I put food out for 15 minutes, and if he didn't eat, I put it up. I just don't believe in free feeding. He ate when he was hungry, and after just a few small battles, he went from picky to chowhound. In fact, he started eating so fast that he would make himself sick, lol. So now his meals are in divided into small portions, but fed within 10 minutes. I was feeding him 3 times a day until I got the regurgitating under control, but now we're back to twice a day with careful monitoring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts