Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From day one, I have been a firm believer in researching before purchasing, especially when it comes to what my pups are eating and that includes treats. I have read soooo many articles on BHT and BHA.

My oldest Beagle (Bailey) was on Science Diet when I got him and was gradually switched over to Diamond and is now on Chicken Soup.
My Younger pup (Rusty) was just about to start on Nutro with the Owner of the litter when I picked him up and is now on Chicken Soup.

Bailey seems to like the his current diet the most and Rusty just doesn’t seem to care what it is that he’s eating since he’s still a pup as long as its going into his mouth and filling up his belly.

I was wondering if my overall choice in Chicken Soup was a wise decision or not? My other choices were Innova or Premium Edge. Should I have gone with these instead? With that said, what are some opinions and suggestions on treats?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
IMHO all a hound needs is a good complete brand of kibble. I can buy 50 Lbs of Pedigree for about $17.00 so it is all the Bagel has ever been feed. He thrives on this kibble!

·
Registered
291 Posts
They're all good foods. My dog used to be on Chicken Soup, but it gave him gas, so we switched to Innova Evo. The whole dog food journal recommends rotating high quality foods every few month so the dog gets a varied diet. Can't help you with store bought treats, but I'm sure others can recommend some good brands.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chicken Soup is a great food. It's one of the best. I like Innova, it's what Jersey eats. I started using it with my last dog before I even knew about BHA and BHT and all the bad things the preservatives can cause. Cannidae is good too. As for treats, most of these companies make treats as well. Personally, I bake Jersey home made dog treats. Her favorite is pumpkin. That way I know that all the ingredients are high quality...and nothing bad...all things I buy at the grocery store. It sounds like you're doing good by your babies!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've been a loyal Purina consumer ever since I adopted Chloe three years ago. Until recently, they've been eating Beneful then I found out that the Purina Healthy Morsels is the same food and costs half as much. I tried feeding them Pedigree ONCE--Chloe and Ginger gobbled it up, but Bailey turned his nose up at it and would not eat it!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours get canned dog food, good quality solid meat and no rubbish in it, mixed with a little dried food. The canned food is from Animona. They also do puppy food, but I dont know what you can get in the USA. Our animal supplier says they have tried these cans themselves!!!
As for treats we give ours dried beef, dried gut and special chicken nuggets. They have to earn them, i.e. sit and get on average 6 a day.
DONT give your dogs edible toys made from buffalo skin, they can choke on these. A friend of ours basenji died after choking on one.

·
Registered
786 Posts
We also had the girls on Chicken Soup and the gas they had was awful. So we switched to Innovo (reg) and they have a little bit of gas but not to the extent of the Chicken soup. We also were giving them the Wellness biscuts and had to stop, again too much gas.... :holy****:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Someone asked about dog-food awhile back.

If you check these sites they list the ingredients in their dog foods.

Just for the heck of it these sites list ingredidents in their dog food:

Wellness (click on the food you're interested in to get the list of ingredients):
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=1&brand_id=913

Chicken Soup (click on the food you want to look at towards the bottom):
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/products/dogs/

Nutro (you'll have to do a little searching, there are many different foods listed, but they do list ingredients once you click on the food you want to look at):
http://www.nutroproducts.com/naturalchoicedog.asp

Science Diet:
http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/products...D=1169404829271

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for their information.
I have read lots and lots about food (canned, dry, brand names, etc.)

Anyway, I'm pleased to say that both pups are doing well on Chicken Soup (Dry) so far.

I thought about spicing things up a bit on the older pup with a bit of canned food to see what he would do, but I'm worried of any reactions it may bring, whether he becomes picky, confused, etc.

As for treats, I will be investing in pumpkin and headed to the feed store to research what they have for biscuits/bones.

Thanks again,
Matt

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by SacBeagles:
As for treats, I will be investing in pumpkin and headed to the feed store to research what they have for biscuits/bones.
Matt: Since beagles can have a tendency towards the "chunky" side, you might want to stick with low-fat biscuits. Any with 3% fat or less are much more nutritious. You might also look for biscuits that have all natural ingredients -- there are lots to choose from.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts