Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a 12 X 24 foot inground swimming pool put in our back yard in December. We are really enjoying it now. Sadie and Pooh Bear will not get in the pool. We have not forced them and will not force them. I think I told you all that Pooh Bear fell in the first night we let them out in the yard after the pool was finished. I think he just didn't see it, it was dark and he didn't know someone had put a big pond in their back yard. So I can understand him being scared of it. Sadie does not like water and she does not even consider getting in. They will come to the side and lick us when we are in the pool. But they don't want to get in. In a way I am glad because I don't have to worry about them. But it would be fun if they would swim with us some.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I think that if the dogs are out in the yard near the pool when you are not watching them then you would need to be sure that they could at least swim if they were to fall in. My two have never swam before but I want to let them in the pool before we move. I need to get life jackets for them though, just in case. LOL

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Our gang really doesn't like to swim but we do know that they can swim if absolutely necessary... We have tested them by going out at the local beach when the tide is out, and then coming back in once the tide starts to come in and therefore there are places we have to cross where the water is too high for the dogs to walk across. It doesn't work to have them walk OUT into the water - they just refuse to go in, but when the shore is the other side of the water they have no choice but to plunge in in order to get back to dry land again! It is funny watching them, as at a certain height of water they just stop walking and start swimming. Moosie and Popcorn both get somewhat frantic initially and start swimming in circles and/or sinking... but if we go over and pet them and calm them down they seem to recover and start moving forward.

Booker is in fact quite a good swimmer even though she acts very put-upon if she ever has to do it! The funniest thing to see, though, is that when we first get into the water on the way back Booker will noticeably suck in her stomach to avoid her belly going in the water - eventually it gets too deep and she gives up, but it sure is funny to watch until that point!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts