Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Just found this site and very excited to see something dedicated completely to Beagles.
I am starting out today with a request for help/advice/insight, but first I will share a bit about me, our pups.

I am currently the mom to two dogs, both rescued.

The first pup I rescued nearly six years ago, she is a Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, Labrador mix with fear-based aggression and resource guarding. I got her at 18 months and I was her 5th stop and last option before being put down (still heart breaking!).
Over the past 5+ years she has mellowed some, but she was lured and captured, so she is not the girl to try and be nice to or reach for when you first meet her. She has several humans now that she mostly trusts. We have a good sized property so she has a lot of room to roam. She is athletic and so smart... but she was also a bit lonely. It took us until recently to feel like she might be able to share her home and have a four legged friend.

The second pup is a recent rescue... have had her nearing 4 weeks, and she is a little Beagle girl who is estimated to be approx 5 years 7 months. She was found roaming ranch/farmland about an hour south of San Antonio during the severe freeze. She has a sizable scar on one side of her face that is clearly from a large jaw/mouth as it encompasses from above her eyebrow to below her jawline. She has a handful of what we assume are BB's beneath her skin. She was unspayed and had what looks like perhaps 2 litters of pups. She had a dew claw that was in poor condition and was diagnosed with heart worm. I met her when the foster mom and I crossed paths while out with my other pup and before the rescue group had started resolving the above issues.

I am a huge fan of Beagles as I have found them to be mostly sweet, smart and engaged. Our childhood dog was a beagle and other than the reality that I was a kid and missed most of what my parents went through with caring for the dog, I thought them pretty straight forward. Ha!

There are some differences! I have property that has a lot of wildlife. Our childhood home, less so...tho eventually we moved to where she could roam and chase porcupines up trees until the cows came home.

I have been working with both dogs to address resource guarding and know it will take some time.
For the first few weeks I let her run at bay (literally!) on the back shy acre. I have been surrounded by dogs barking since moving in nearly 3 years ago and wasn't too concerned that my neighbors would be too inconvenienced. My closest neighbor had no issue and thought that putting up with his screaming toddlers the last few years was permission enough to not worry.

After two weeks tho, the neighbor behind came screaming out of his house (had not met him in 3 years, but know his wife and his elderly father who lives there, and their 2 dogs who bark at my dog). He was threatening and even suggested that he "didn't care if I killed it to shut it up." Yeah... he's swell. I am going to put up a privacy fence because that kind of energy is not anything I want to be near and I don't trust that his frustration wouldn't lead him to do something insidious across our 4ft chainlink fence.

My initial process was to let the little girl get use to the property and wear herself out a bit, but with the complication of someone who is unable to manage frustrations, I need to find a way to allow her to run free in the back yard but reduce/silence her scent/baying response.

With that said, I am wondering if anyone out here has any experience with a bark collar having any effect on the baying of a beagle? Like so many, mine is determined. She is doing very well with verbal training tho takes some repeating and sometimes helping her to do the right thing. But when it comes to the baying.. I don't know that I can let her run loose again unless we can get that under control while she is out.

Thank you for letting me go a bit long on this. Any suggestion, insight would be greatly appreciated. She is a real sweetie and I just want her to be able to be the hunting dog she is, with less recoil from the fence behind.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I haven't tried a bark collar on Xerxes...but just wanted to say what a good dog momma (I'm assuming you're female, perhaps wrongly) you are. Thank for taking in both of them.

In terms of stopping baying...we haven't found anything yet. If we can catch him right before it starts we have a chance, but once he's full bay the only thing that quiets him is picking up. Kinda weird, no idea why, but tuck him under you arm and he's quiet.

Reactions: Kissyface

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Wow thats quite a story.
I live in the suburbs so despite a good size lot Im no where near the size property you have. So you can imagine barking will be disturbing to neighbors.. but fortunately not any neighbor has complained since they all have dogs. My dog is now 9 5 years old...earlier on the barking was horrible. I went to my trainer in tears about the barking..the trainer was a K9 sheriff and had beagles and understood my problem. The trainer advised about a bark collar and how to use it.. i purchased the recommended one called "Dogtra". Told to set it on Pulse and put it on my dog.. if she barked while on Pulse I was instructed to put it on the 1 level.. .. my dog barked and got a zap. This happened twice and never since. I have her wear it ONLY OUTSIDE completely turned off now and she doesn't bark..
I ordered it on Amazon and i think costs about $90.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried a bark collar on Xerxes...but just wanted to say what a good dog momma (I'm assuming you're female, perhaps wrongly) you are. Thank for taking in both of them.

In terms of stopping baying...we haven't found anything yet. If we can catch him right before it starts we have a chance, but once he's full bay the only thing that quiets him is picking up. Kinda weird, no idea why, but tuck him under you arm and he's quiet.
Thank you so much for your reply and the human support too 😉 I am a dog momma, human momma and grand momma.. massage therapist.. I think my lot in this life is that of care giver... I like to facilitate better moments, days, health, outlook and options. So many people and animals who just need someone to give them a chance and meet them where they are at. ☺

Now about our Shelby girl.. I spent close to a week tormenting about which collar, whether there were other options I just hadn't considered, my ability to manage it well etc.

I had ordered a "training" collar thinking that it had the passive ability and the active ability to make corrective actions.
I was going to return it, because it turned out that it was only a training collar and not a bark collar that would work passively. Then I decided to try the simple training aspect, which of course means that I had to be present and initiate the vibration. I started out with a really low vibration (5) and didn't get a response when she found a scent and started baying. I cranked it quickly (not wanting to irritate neighbor) to 40 and she stopped immediately but continued to sniff and climb the lower part of tree trying to spot what she had found on scent. I had my adult daughter running intervention if needed as our property in back is pretty wild with areas that are dense with downed trees and limbs that we leave intentionally for the deer and other wild animals. I can be pretty rugged, but trying to chase a dog with a remote (while still learning remote!) through briars just didn't seem smart. Haha!

We found it successful and Shelby did not bay anymore, but was definitely more timid. She easily came inside where she was greeted with praise and reward, but she was still less "free."

Yesterday I did the same thing with my husband helping just after dark and the minute she found a scent activated the vibration again with immediate result, and again a more subdued pup, maybe sad is the way to go. 😔

This morning I decided to take her out solo and this time no collar. She was not very active in the way that she is generally running everywhere looking for scent. After some morning "business" she was indicating she wanted to go inside and was telling me she wanted to go for a walk. So that is what we did.

I may consider adding a bark collar at this point as she seems to respond to the vibration and it would be good if I didn't have to have a remote ready to address any baying activity, unless of course she isn't responding. Ultimately for me tho, is for the collar to become something that doesn't deflate her emotionally or her nature and that eventually she doesn't even recognize so that she can wander to her hearts content.❣❣❣

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you so much for your reply and the human support too 😉 I am a dog momma, human momma and grand momma.. massage therapist.. I think my lot in this life is that of care giver... I like to facilitate better moments, days, health, outlook and options. So many people and animals who just need someone to give them a chance and meet them where they are at. ☺

Now about our Shelby girl.. I spent close to a week tormenting about which collar, whether there were other options I just hadn't considered, my ability to manage it well etc.

I had ordered a "training" collar thinking that it had the passive ability and the active ability to make corrective actions.
I was going to return it, because it turned out that it was only a training collar and not a bark collar that would work passively. Then I decided to try the simple training aspect, which of course means that I had to be present and initiate the vibration. I started out with a really low vibration (5) and didn't get a response when she found a scent and started baying. I cranked it quickly (not wanting to irritate neighbor) to 40 and she stopped immediately but continued to sniff and climb the lower part of tree trying to spot what she had found on scent. I had my adult daughter running intervention if needed as our property in back is pretty wild with areas that are dense with downed trees and limbs that we leave intentionally for the deer and other wild animals. I can be pretty rugged, but trying to chase a dog with a remote (while still learning remote!) through briars just didn't seem smart. Haha!

We found it successful and Shelby did not bay anymore, but was definitely more timid. She easily came inside where she was greeted with praise and reward, but she was still less "free."

Yesterday I did the same thing with my husband helping just after dark and the minute she found a scent activated the vibration again with immediate result, and again a more subdued pup, maybe sad is the way to go. 😔

This morning I decided to take her out solo and this time no collar. She was not very active in the way that she is generally running everywhere looking for scent. After some morning "business" she was indicating she wanted to go inside and was telling me she wanted to go for a walk. So that is what we did.

I may consider adding a bark collar at this point as she seems to respond to the vibration and it would be good if I didn't have to have a remote ready to address any baying activity, unless of course she isn't responding. Ultimately for me tho, is for the collar to become something that doesn't deflate her emotionally or her nature and that eventually she doesn't even recognize so that she can wander to her hearts content.❣❣❣

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thats quite a story.
I live in the suburbs so despite a good size lot Im no where near the size property you have. So you can imagine barking will be disturbing to neighbors.. but fortunately not any neighbor has complained since they all have dogs. My dog is now 9 5 years old...earlier on the barking was horrible. I went to my trainer in tears about the barking..the trainer was a K9 sheriff and had beagles and understood my problem. The trainer advised about a bark collar and how to use it.. i purchased the recommended one called "Dogtra". Told to set it on Pulse and put it on my dog.. if she barked while on Pulse I was instructed to put it on the 1 level.. .. my dog barked and got a zap. This happened twice and never since. I have her wear it ONLY OUTSIDE completely turned off now and she doesn't bark..
I ordered it on Amazon and i think costs about $90.

Hi Cassie,

That's great info! Going to check on that .. and what a great find to have someone who had great experience to help you find your way!!! I just responded to another recommendation/support response and one of the points is that after using a training collar (requires human activating each time there is a bark or bay) I think that we are maybe ready for the more passive bark collar. The results are good with stopping her bay using the trainer, but I want her to have more freedom and not see me as the cause of her reduced ability to engage. She is definitely more depressed as it has soured her love of all things that smell... so hoping with more passive option of the bark collar that she will learn to have fun and freedom in a more restrained response way.

Thank you for sharing... so appreciate it. ☺

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am sure you'll come to a good equilibrium. You're obviously still sorting through the options. We had an e-bark collar we used moving into our current building - our GSD was a bit of a barker - eventually we were able to leave the collar turned off but on, and like Cassie, he was quiet when he wore it. Eventually we took it off him - he barked sometimes, but not like when we decided we needed to use it.

Reactions: Kissyface

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Cassie,

That's great info! Going to check on that .. and what a great find to have someone who had great experience to help you find your way!!! I just responded to another recommendation/support response and one of the points is that after using a training collar (requires human activating each time there is a bark or bay) I think that we are maybe ready for the more passive bark collar. The results are good with stopping her bay using the trainer, but I want her to have more freedom and not see me as the cause of her reduced ability to engage. She is definitely more depressed as it has soured her love of all things that smell... so hoping with more passive option of the bark collar that she will learn to have fun and freedom in a more restrained response way.

Thank you for sharing... so appreciate it. ☺
I got a bit sad reading your dilemma. Why does it seem that those who make the most noise have such little tolerance of it themselves? Collars are definitely convenient but understand your hesitancy at not wanting your little beagle girl to associate you with it's use, especially if she seems depressed. Have you tried clicker training? Our situations are different - I'm in a suburb of close houses in a town with a noise ordinance, owners of barking dogs can be fined. You are very tolerant for wanting to be a good neighbor, despite the awful way your neighbor treated you. I didn't have large yard for my beagle to run loose (we had to go to fenced park for that), but I wanted to prevent the barking from starting. I kept her close to me in the house and later outside on a leash. For any bark, I would say "no bark" and when she complied, that is responding to sit and not barking for a period of time, I clicked the clicker, then treated her (first I let a few minutes pass, then drew the the time out to about 3-5 minutes before treating so she would associate good behavior with the click and treat). Outside was harder because of distractions but kept her tethered to me so she understood manners came first. I also did something crazy during our training sessions which I'm not sure even worked but since we're all crazy beagle buddies here, I'll share. I made sure she was looking at me, barked (lol), said "no bark", waited, clicked and pretended to give myself a treat. I did it 4x a day and after about a month, no barking inside or out. I think the key for me was that I didn't have the fenced space to let her burn off energy, so we had to do a lot of structured play and training. Even when we would go to dog parks she didn't bark back at other dogs, nor did she bark when we ran in a farmer's field. When she was inside and she did let out a bark (e.g., something startled her when she was sleeping), she would look at me with horror as if to say she really didn't mean it. She was also very much on the submissive side as well so she seemed to like to follow rules. I hope you find something that works and hope you at least got a laugh from me barking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts