Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are rather desperate because Susi has suddenly become scared stiff of our garden. She will walk round the edge of it but wont go onto the grass. Possibly because of this she has started peeing in the house. Our new carpet has been peed on 6 times, the kitchen carpet twice and the hall carpet several times. She seems to know she has done wrong. When taken for walks in the woods she acts fine, but doesnt pee.
We have washed all the carpets, are considering removing the lounge carpet for a while, but cant understand why she is like this. We thought of grass mites, which we have, but quite honestly it shouldnt stop her going out. On the odd occasion when she dashes across the grass, she ends up in the pergola, and pees there.
As she is obviously scared stiff of the garden we cant get annoyed with her, but are getting a bit desperate as to how to cure this. Snoopy is fine and looks at her as if to say what the heck is the matter.
I know there is nothing you can advise, but just thought I'd share our problem.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am sure you just want to say to Susi what I have said to Maggie so many, many times, especially in the last year, "please just tell me what is wrong!" When you consider what Susi went through before you saved her, it is not hard to believe that there are all sorts of demons in her mind. Please give her an extra special hug tonight from Maggie and me. (Just one thought which might be totally off the wall ... if you think it is the grass itself, what about bringing a small square of grass into the house and putting a special treat on it and see if she will approach the grass to get it. Not sure where you'd go from there but it would be an interesting thing to try.)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If only we knew what goes through their beagle brains! A couple of months ago, Li'l Girl got spooked about going out at night. She wouldn't go if I didn't accompany her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Fortunately, that only lasted a few nights, but I've no idea what caused it.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wish I had any ideas about what might be the cause but I just don't know what goes on in their doggy brains sometimes. Is it possible to take her for walks outside of your garden to areas that are maybe not grassy if the grass is the problem - maybe she would be better in dirt, sand, bark mulch or something like that?!

Popcorn has started this weird thing where she won't pee or poop anywhere on grass or dirt - she walks around it but then goes to the very edge, settles in and lets loose on the sidewalk beside the grass, garden etc. I have no idea why, and am hoping that it would pass but for now that is her "thing".

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Suzi is having a hard time. I'm REALY sorry to hear about the new rug!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to know what demons are alive in her pretty little head? Poor baby

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well today we had no accidents. However, it meant taking Susi and Snoopy for walks on the lead the moment they started getting up from sleeping. We started the walks at 5am. Susi is o.k. in the woods and at the back of our house, but is spooked about our front garden. We have removed most carpets and she only seems to want to go on carpet and not bare floors! We are giving her plenty of cuddles (and Snoopy of course) and shall do our best to see this phase through.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Do you think it is possible that she stepped on something sharp or unpleasant or maybe something bit her and she associates that part of the lawn with something not nice? When we had Megan limited to just one room by baby gates, Austin bumped into them a couple of times and once or twice they fell over and scared the daylights out of him. Since then when I put my hand on the gates, he jumps or runs away. He does not like them. Maybe there is a garden troll out there scaring Suzi!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Bring Susi back on leash to where she is spooked. Bring a chair out there and sit with her for a while, reassure her there is nothing wrong, you are perfectly ok sitting there relaxing.
During the training, Charlie is afraid of practical anything loud. He was afraid of traffic, cars pulling in the parking lot, driving around the corner of the street. The trainer had me stood at the corner of the street with Charlie on leash, watching all traffic went by, people pushing shopping carts. At the same time telling him, it is ok, and even I was not afraid. Gradually, he overcame his fear and walking by my side. I remember standing at the corner of our street with him between my legs(hehe), tail down, watching the traffic for over 10 minutes. Now he is pulling me along. Susi needs to overcome her fear. Hope she can do it, poor thing.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your suggestions. We wondered whether Susi associated the front lawn with grass mites, or that she had been stung. But we havent seen any injuries to her feet. There is grass in our back garden but she walks on that. There are plenty of areas without grass where she could pee. She is happy in the woods but usually doesnt do much there. Now, as we go out with her so often she has to pee.
We have sat with her in the middle of the front garden, she on Daves lap, but if we put her on the ground she races back indoors.
The slightest thing can upset ex-research beagles so we know we have to just see it through. Susi is so loving one cant be cross.
The new rug is possibly part of the cause, it probably smells like a sheep to her! Also these hounds hate changes and they loved the old smelly carpet, it was their first taste of comfort after 5 years in jail.
Yes, we have tried taking her on the lead into the front garden, but one can see she is so stressed that we stopped doing that.
Shall let you know how things go.

·
Registered
439 Posts
doghouse

what do you mean by "ex-research beagle".
please explain that.
is there a way to put up a fence for the back yard since she seems to like it our there?
is there away to block her view of the garden?
take a bit of each type of plant and put it in her view somewhere. see if its on of the type of plants that she dont like.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ricksconnected. Susi and Snoopy spent their first years in research centres. Susi was used for all sorts of horrible experiments before being bought free by an animal rescue organisation. Snoopy was not as badly treated but spent his first years behind bars. Neither knew how to react when they were let out into the real world. In the past most dogs used for research were destroyed when of no further use, Susi and Snoopy were lucky.
Susi can reach the back garden direct from the lounge and the front garden from the hall. The doors are left open. She doesnt seem so scared at the moment, but still comes in to pee. I'll let you know if this changes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts