Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are so devoted it almost scares us. What shall we do if one dies? Anyway for the time being we watch their devotion grow.

These were taken yesterday. This morning Snoopy jumped on to our bed and after a short time gave out a scream. He had hurt his neck, but nothing much.Susi came straight away to check what was wrong. The devotion between these two is amazing. Has anyone else had two dogs so devoted? What did you do when one died? I know its too soon for us to be thinking of this, but Snoopy has heart trouble and one never knows. Susi was so badly treated she could easilly develope health problems.
We are too old to get a lot more dogs , both in our 60's.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Those are beautiful pictures.

I certainly understand your concerns - the only thing I could suggest is getting a third beagle while Susi and Snoopy are still relatively young and healthy so that, when the inevitable happens and one passes away, the one left will not be COMPLETELY alone and will have another known friend, even if not as close as Susi and Snoopy are to each other.

I wouldn't suggest a puppy either as it doesn't sound like that would be a good fit with either you or Susi and Snoopy - but I'm thinking a laid back slightly older dog, say 5 years old or so...

Not sure if a third beagle is an option and whether Susi and Snoopy would even be willing to put up with an interloper - but it was something we considered as a reason (okay, in our case a justification) for getting a third dog and it did spring to my mind when I read your post.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They both seem to hate other dogs. If we did get a 3rd dog it would have to be female, as Snoopy attacks other males. Susi and Snoopy did allow Susi's sister to visit. However, we feel we cant take another dog. Ideal for us would be if these two could live to a ripe old age and somehow die within a short time of one another.
We have another problem again, Snoopy has started peeing on Susi again!!! We had this problem about a year ago. So now we go outside with them to prevent this habit!!!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As always, the devotion Susi & Snoopy show for each other touches my heart. :heart: Years ago, when we had Gunner & Ruby, she was absolutely devoted to him. He, not that much to her.

When Gunner started showing signs of age, it seemed that Ruby grew older too. We did have other dogs when Gunner died, but that devotion wasn't there.
However, Ruby did go on without her beloved friend. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sandy I think you are right, Snoopy could maybe not be able to live without Susi, but I think Susi might be able to live without Snoopy. I just hope we have many years before we find out.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I love to see your photos -- it is hard to tell where one beagle starts and the other ends in the 2nd pic! :heart: My first two dogs totally relied on each other. They both lived long lives to 14 and 15 years old. When they started to fail and after much agonizing on my part, a friend of mine took one to the vet one day and the other dog the next day to put them to sleep. I didn't have too much time to grieve as hurricane Hugo hit St. Croix a month later. I was just thankful that I had made that decision before the hurricane hit -- they never would have been able to survive it. I really believe that things work out the way they are supposed to even though it may take us a while to realize it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Angela, I just love to see pictures of Suzi and Snoopy together. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. That definitely applies to their pictures. You can just feel the love between the two of them. :heart: I hope that you don't have to worry about losing one of them for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
They are so sweet! What an amazing gift you and your husband have given them!
Perfectly put, Jamie.

Angela...they look so content and at peace with each other. :heart: Amazing. Is that his tongue poking out on Snoopy? (I think it's Snoopy).

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
I love seeing pictures of Susi and Snoopy! It reminds me of my beagle duo, Callie and Razzle, waiting for me at the Bridge. They were very devoted to each other too. Razzle lived to be 16 and Callie 14. They died within 6 months of each other, Razzle left us first. Callie missed him at first very much, but I think her health problems kept her from being too aware of that loss after that. We just never know what the future will bring for our beloved pets...sigh

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all We feel very lucky to have such precious beagles.
Gingergoose, yes thats Snoopy's tongue, it often sticks out as its too long for his mouth!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
They are so cute. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
They are precious!!!

We have the two sisters and if I sneak one out for a walk without the other, the one who is home cries. My husband and I have also mentioned what would happen to one if the other was to go to heaven. We just said we'll deal with it at that time....

Give them lots of belly rubs....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts