Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I begin! Don't even know when the last time I wrote was! Think it was about taking a camping trip to the beach at New Year's! This is a "woe is me" post, sounds like my beagle world buddies have had some pretty nasty crises themselves! OK I get to Fort Morgan. Bill is at the campsite with Thelma and Louise and our friends. He pulled a muscle in his back, Louise got a badly embedded thorn(s) in her rear r. paw (which we didn't know about until a week later) I decided to take them to AR for a trip after the camping trip and when I got to AR took Louise to the vet. She had to be anesthesized and the thorns "dug" out. She is the ADD one of the two.
She was in severe pain and anxiety with absolute bezerk fits jumping out of my arms, trembling uncontrollably , yelping. I have multiple bruises on my chest from this. Used Rimadyl, Clomacalm, Benadryl, and finally AcePromazine. She is on antibiotics for 2 weeks.She has been to the vet 5 times for multiple re-wrapping and assessments of the wound. She would not leave her foot alone & had to wrap it with plastic bags (was raining constantly for 4 days and nights.)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, Beth, I am so sorry to hear about your mis-adventures! Sounds like Louise has really been through a rough time -- anything dealing with the paws is difficult. I hope everything calms down soon. Gentle hugs to you and Louise!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran out of room! To continue, she had to wear an E Collar. I had to drop Thelma off in New Orleans, so I could nurse Louise. Now I'm on call and had to take her to day care with all her problems, but it's OK, they love her and will take good care of her just 4 tonite. I can't begin to tell you how much this has gotten to me. She's so pitiful. Now less anxiety & less pain. So, my vacation from nursing was a "nursing" vacation, from backs to beags!!!! I have read all your posts, and I am empathizing with all your babies illnesses, injuries,will write more later.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My goodness, poor Louise!! Well, hopefully the worse part is over and she will be on her road to recovery. I'm sure that is very painful in her sensitive paw.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It kind of surprises me that slivers like that don't happen more...since they run around barefoot all the time!
I hope she heals fast!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Poor little coocchie, hope she is on the mend. Poor you, you'll need a holiday to get over your holiday... Try and chill if you can!!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Beth, I am so sorry to read of Louise's problems, and Bill's. I hope they're both on the mend now, and that you can get some time soon to just relax. Tell Louise to behave herself so she can heal sooner!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hope all of your patients are doing better. Stopping a dog from licking a sore on its paw can be really difficult - and unfortunately if the dog is agile enough even "the cone" won't necessarily work...

We had that problem with Moose when we first adopted him as he had a small sore on his paw but then, I'm sure due to the stress involved in being rescued, he started to obsessively lick it into a bigger and bigger sore - he was absolutely compulsive about it and if I put my hand over the paw to stop him from licking he would start obsessively licking my hand instead. We tried the cone (but he just contorted himself and continued licking regardless) and taping over the paw with baby socks, plastic, anything we could find, but he would just get through everything and keep licking, licking, licking.

We finally solved the problem by buying a set of Mutt-lucks - dog booties designed to protect dogs' paws from ice and salt. They go on with velcro and are quite thick, and proved to be impossible for Moosie to get off, despite his best efforts. Once we stopped the licking the sore finally started to heal, but for a while there we didn't think we would ever get there!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Happy to report that Louise is much better. The vet pulled another thorn out of her dew claw yesterday. She's pretty much leaving her foot alone now that she is out of pain. Mama has been soaking her foot 2x day with Epsom Salts. That stuff is wonderful for pulling toxins and foreign stuff out of tissue. Had no idea how good it is.She has 2 more days of antbx. She is back to her "rascal-ADD" self......ran outside the door today & had to go "jump" on her when she stopped for a scent!!!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
So glad Louise is doing better! Poor baby, hope all the prickers are out now!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts