Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like Menolly has gotten sunburned. The problems is she's a true Californian; she LOVES that great yellopw orb! She'll lay outside for as much as an hour, rolling around on her stomach and back. Her coat is short and very light, so I've worried a little about sunburn.

Now the skin on her belly is pink. (I mean, pinker than normal)
It's not a rash, and it doesn't seem to be irritating her, but I'm pretty sure it's sunburn. There are also freckles popping up that weren't there before. Those might be a normal part of her growing process, but could they be from the sun, too? How would I prevent sunburn in a dog?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Star Wars Beagle. How would I prevent sunburn in a dog?
The same way you would prevent it in a human -- restrict the sun exposure. Maggie used to love lying on the hot driveway, belly up, with the sun beating down on her. Like Menolly, she got a mild sunburn on her belly -- my vet told me to be careful because that is very, very tender skin on a pup. You can't apply sunscreen like you can on a human as our beags would probably find it quite tasty.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our vet recomended that we put suncreeen on Cleo's tummy because she developed a mole there. It wasn't cancerous, but beags can get skin cancer. We used spray on baby sunscreen. She didn't lick it but that just might of been her. I would check to make sure she wouldn't be hurt if she did lick it though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Star Wars BeagleHey, good idea!
I already use baby shampoo to wash her, which works very well.
That might not be such a good idea. Just because their PH is different than humans, and it damages the oils their coat secretes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts