Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read about dogs - like people - limiting their sun exposure. There's a pretty big tree in our yard which provides shade and yesterday morning when I was hanging out there Regal took a break to lie down under the lounge chair. Even the park we walk at is pretty well shaded.

Do you take any precautions - is there even a doggy sunscreen?

·
Registered
890 Posts
My wife is very sensitive to the sun (fair skinned redhead) so she likes to walk Tucker in the shade too. Our first beagle Cleo developed a mole on her belly. The vet took it off and it was pre-cancerous. From then on Cleo had to wear spray-on baby sunscreen whenever we went out side for very long. I'm sure they have a dog version somewhere, but the spray-on stuff works good for the areas that don't have a lot of hair.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmmmm....makes sense to me! I only ever thought we needed to be mindful of heat exhaustion, given the black fur!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That's interesting...i never knew that. Coco is an indoor dog and his time outside it limited to after walks and sometimes playing in the yard.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've heard this before, but I've never known anyone who actually had a problem with it. It only makes sense though. Jersey loves to lay in the sun. She was just out on the balcony sunbathing this morning. I don't let her stay out there more than 10-15 minutes though. It gets too hot here to leave her out too long. With the humidity here, by 10 a.m. this morning the feels like temperature was already up into the 90's. Florida summers...ughh...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for everyone's input. I absolutely adore when he finds himself a spot to lay in the sun so I don't want to take that away from him! I've become sunscreen obsessed for my husband and I - but doesn't seem like I have to go so far with the pup. His time outside is limited during most days, I'll just remember to be more vigilant on the weekends.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I will support that idea of limiting your pups exposure to the sun. Chipper, (RIP) got sunstroke one summer, when we had a very hot spell and no AC. From that time on, we either had to go stay at a hotel when it was deathly hot, or finally got an AC that he would bark at to start it....honestly, the dog thought if he barked at the AC it would turn on! Cobi has two little moles that we are watching for suspicious growth...so sunscreen is definitely a must for him, too. I know it is said that m any people treat their dogs like babies, but hey, they are in my book.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i try to encourage my beagles to get as much sun as possible, especially while eating bacon cooked in a silverstone pan. i figure that way they'll build upa tolerance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know about the beagles, but my great danes are harlequins (white with black patches) and get sunburned on their noses, ears and umm, private man parts if out in the sun too long. If I know we are going to outside all day, I will use a kids sunscreen on their sensitive areas. I also put it on the Buck, the beagles, nose too since it is still whitish/pink.

I think you only have to really worry if you dog is predominately white. Plus, the beagles have thicker fur than alot of other breeds so they do have more protection. My danes fur is very short and thin.

ETA: If your dogs are out in the sun and it is hot out just be sure to remember to make sure they have access to cool water to prevent heat exhaustion and sun stroke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts