Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night, Summer started acting funny. Not walking normally. When I picked her up she yelped. When I put her in my arms to rub her belly (as usual) she was shaking from head to toe. I started checking her back and she cried. So it off to the Emergency Vet.

After an exam, they are not sure. It could be anything from a strain to arthritis to another herniated disk. So I am trying to make an appointment for her surgeon and get his opinion. Right now, she is sleeping. Tramadol (anti-imflammatory) and Metcam (pain killer) tend to do that.

I'll let you know more after the appointment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear that...hope that Summer feels better soon (and gentle belly rubs to her)...

Dexter and Toke

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
oh no poor Summer .... crossing paws that it is only a strain .....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Summer... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif . I hope she is feeling better soon...
Gentle licks from Chloe.... :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure hope it is a strain. The Bagel has done that twice, 10 days of confinement to quarters (Staying in the house) and some muscle relatant and he was as good as new. Sure hope all Summer did was pull some muscles by overdoing it! It will be a lot less expenisve than the other possible problems. Will add her to Bagel and my nightly prayers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

I called the E-hospital to schedule an appointment with the surgeon, Dr. Nannos. He was booked solid, but he would squeeze her in if we bring her in ASAP. We got there and Dr. Nannos took us immediately. He looked over the chart, watched her walk around and then gave he a neuro-exam and checked her back. She looked fine and showed no signs of pain. Which he was please with. He said We are to keep her on the meds the rest of the week and truly rest her. No up on furniture, no running around, just rest. We need to watch for any signs of pain or coordination loss. If so, rush her back in for x-rays and blood work.

So for now, its rest, watch and see.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Our fingers and toes are crossed that this is a minor tweak that crate rest will help and nothing more serious, Joe.

For those lucky enough to have dogs who have never had back issues: once a disc problem occurs, your dog is at slightly higher risk of having an issue again with another disc, but it isn't necessarily a given...

It's about time the law of averages gave Murphy and Summer a break! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

~Virginia & Tinker's Mom

·
Registered
889 Posts
Very sorry to hear that Summer has some back pain again, I do hope that with total rest everything will settle down and she will soon be back to her old self. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am sorry Summer is feeling bad. I know how upsetting it can be to you.

Sending get well wishes that things will be ok soon.

Mary

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
How wonderful, Joe, that the surgeon was able to squeeze you in! And it's encouraging that he didn't find her in obvious pain and she walked okay for him. Fingers and paws crossed here that the rest and medication are all she needs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So sorry that Summer's having another round of back pain. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I hope the meds take care of the problem. Would you believe that I'm taking Tramadol, too. :freak: Funny how closely linked are the bodies of humans and dogs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh, Summer, take the time to rest and heal. I hope that it is just a strain, and nothing more serious. Your dad has had enough beagle-worry lately.

Lucy and Flora

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, we hope and pray that Summer will be well again soon. Summer, just take it easy for a while now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:Originally posted by Murphy & Summer's Dad:
...We are to keep her on the meds the rest of the week and truly rest her. No up on furniture, no running around, just rest....
that was what the Bagel had to do. I made him a ramp to get up on our bed. He did just fine! Sure hope the same for Summer.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We know how you feel. We are hoping it was just a strain and nothing major. Glad to hear you were able to get her in right away to check her out and also ease your minds.

keep us posted and Summer, rest up and feel better!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two days out and Summer is doing well. She is a bit moody since she is not allowed on the couch. She did have stairs that she used, but those have been put away (doctor's orders). Murphy is a bit miffed as well since Summer has stolen his spot behind my chair. Frani says I am Summer's flavor of the month. Summer wants to be in direct contact with me at all times when I'm home.

Madison,
How did it happen you ask? Unknown. Any breed that is longer than it is tall (Beagles, Bassets, Dachsunds, etc.) can have back issues at any time. Some of it is genetic (IVDD), some is just an injury that can occur. All you can do is try not to allow them to jump up on or off furniture or beds. Ramps, stairs, or the Daddy-vator (or Mommy-vator - lifting them up and down).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Poor Summer. I'm glad to hear that she's doing well. Hopefully, she just aggrivated something and some R&R will do the trick to heal her. She needs to be all better for her big trip to Florida next month. Give her an extra belly rub from me!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts