Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we decided that since Summer has never been home alone, we shouldn't start now. At least until we decide if another dog is the way to go.

I took her to a day care near us that she has been to before (when Murphy was in the hospital). Yesterday she cried and clawed at the gate as I left. Then, according to the staff, she sulked a while. A new puppy came in and immediately ran to her to play. She ignored the little pup. But puppies being what they are, was determined to play with her. They said once she broke down and played with the pup, she played and ran around all day. She came home and slept, exhausted.

This morning, she was shaking in the car going to day care, but went in willingly. A chocolate lab went in right after her and she immediately started playing. As I left she came to the gate. I told her I would get her later, and to go play. She did. I hope she is happy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That sounds awesome! I know the heart ache you all are going through and keep wondering if its the right thing, but it really sounds like Summer is having fun! That was a great idea sending her to Day Care....

I'd love to see some pictures of her bouncing around...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Very cool.

I'm new here but have read Murphy's story and recently lost my own dog - a Malamute but a wonderful dog.

I left my corporate job a number of years ago to open a doggie day care and boarding facility called Happy Tails Doggie Day Care and Boarding - original, I know...(LOL)! I didn't in the end because the market crashed and my breakeven was waaaaay to high for me to risk on a single income. But I'm a big believer in them and from my experience, dogs will never want to leave for the day once they get used to it....

I hope it works for Summer (and you) to get through the devastation of losing a loved one. I believe it will.

From a newcomer,

B

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sending Summer to day care sounds like the right thing to do. I'd think it'd be much better for her than being at home alone at this time.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That sounds like a good solution for Summer. Like people it probably helps her to be busy and have some companionship. I'm glad she is having fun.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Dad: I used to teach kindergarten and first grade to little children with two legs....amazingly pups are not that much different than the two legged children. Summer's reaction, as you wrote it, sounded SO much like the first week of K and first grade to me. It's very hard, she has lost a great friend, a brother and now, you are leaving her, or so she thinks....yet, once she gets used to the routine, IF you decide to pull her out, she will be sad about not being able to go to play with friends who look somewhat like her. Hang in there, it's good for her to have a safe place to go, and good that you can take some time for you.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope it works out with Summer. She must wonder where Murphy is and other dogs will be a good distraction.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
When we used to board ours (years ago), the owner of the kennel told us that no matter how sad they looked or how guilty they made us feel when we left them, that all changed once we were gone.

She insists that they have fun around other dogs in spite of themselves.

Daycare for Summer sounds like it was the right idea.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Summer is going to go through the same sense of loss as you and Frani.. Summer also has to adjust and overcome her grief as well. It sounds like daycare is just the distraction to help her cope.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Doggie day care sounds like it's a good solution to Summer not having to be alone at home. Coming home tired is probably a good thing for her.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
It is just as hard to leave a dog at daycare as it would be to leave a child at daycare. I am sure she will have a blast there, how could she not?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After speaking with the day care manager last night, I come to find out that Summer has become a staff favorite. I quote... She is the perfect front of house dog. She is always happy. She has the run of the place. She is allowed with the big dogs and small dogs, and is allowed in the grooming area while they are working so she can greet the dogs and owners coming in.

And I am paying them... go figure.

Afterwards she comes home, looks for Murphy a bit, then goes outside to patrol the yard. Comes back in, has dinner and crashes on the couch. She is out like a light. Frani asked me... When do we get to play with her? On the weekends... was my answer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Looks like she has a new job and is taking it seriously. That sounds great that she is enjoying it...

·
Registered
865 Posts
That is really great!! It sounds like day care is the perfect distraction for Summer in this difficult time. Of course, none of us are surprised to see a beagle be a staff favorite!! Especially Summer!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was so glad to read that daycare and Summer have turned out to be the perfect match!
I am not surprised at all that she has become the daycare mascot and greeter. Maybe she will even convert some non-beagle lovers!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
How wonderful that you have found such a perfect solution for Summer. How very thoughtful and loving of you and Frani to do this for Summer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts