Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my wife is very upset. I told you all about a while ago, a rabbit made its den under my shed (not too bright with two beagles nearby). Since then, Summer has "Bunnies on the Brain", constantly patrolling and digging at the base of my shed. It seems last evening, she cured herself by catching and killing the critter. When I called her in, she was laying out by the patio, not by the door with Murphy. I took a look and didn't see it. This morning, my wife found it (on her day off no less) when she went out to get Summer. Summer was laying by her prize. She got Summer in and plucked up the courage to bag and dispose of it. She said it was stiff, so it had to have died last night. She tells me that she keeps telling Summer that she has enough bad karma and doesn't need any more. Summer just lays by her side and whimpers.

Now I have to close up the openings so this can't happen again. Yeah... Right... both beagles and rabbits can dig. Efforts in futility.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Beagles and Bunnies go together. No point in feeling bad about it Summer probably cant understand why your wife is upset and would have willingly shared her prize! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they were bred for it.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Sorry that your wife had to find it on her day of... way to go for the courage in picking it up (yuck.. :pukey: )

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm on your wife's side... I'd be saying "pour a concrete slab about two feet thick & put the shed on top of it then." :freak:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Poor Frannie /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif not something I would like to find either .....

I guess the bunnies just haven't learned yet /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
I can't figure out why bunnies would go where there are dogs! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
We have all kinds of empty space around our fenced in yard, but they hang out in our yard.
In fact, this weekend, the girls chased one out of our yard in the middle of the day, and howled and howled at it.
My neighbor with the yappy Yorkies, had the gall to tell me to get my dogs to be quiet. :angryfire: Their dogs bark all the time at nothing! This was a rabbit, darn it!! :animal18:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your poor wife! I know I wouldn't have been happy having to clean up a dead bunny. I'm with Frannie though...find a way to block off that shed so the bunnies stop making their dens under it! Although, you would think they'd have learned by now.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Poor bunnies. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Sorry Fran had to deal with the remains. That's definetely falls into the category of "husband job".

~Denise

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have someting worse than rabbits; we have snakes!! Poisonous ones as well as non-poisonous. Since our house is surrounded by trees, we see them very often. That's why I never let Boeing out around the house alone. A few weeks ago, a boa slithered up a mango tree in our neighbor's house and their dog kept barking so hard that they came out and found the snake wounding itself on a branch not too high above their heads. Anyway, they got some emergency people to come and get it. Then a few days later, another boa was also found in the same place. And you know what? Boeing slept through all the commotion!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sorry your wife had to find that on her day off! On the other hand, I'm sure Summer feels a sense of accomplishment.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Wow, Boeing's mom!

You have very exotic and dangerous snakes over there.

Yesterday we found a black rat snake strolling across the yard heading for the woods. We hve tons of them around the house. They are constrictors but keep the dangerous poinsonous snakes away, like cottonmouths.

Today as I was standing on our porch holding Olivia and just staring down the driveway, I don't know what made me look...there was a foot long garter snake at my feet. I think he was going to crawl over my foot. He turned around and went under the porch.

I am fascinated with snakes...I just don't like to be surprised by them.

Have you taken pictures of the snakes by your house?

~Denise

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well done Summer for doing your job.

But I must admit I wouldn't be too pleased to have to clear away a dead bunny. I think your efforts to stop anymore bunny dens may be futile though because I tried the same at my last house and it didn't work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Denise,

I didn't see the boas myself as I was off at work. My mom related the whole incident (both times) to me. But I saw one boa myself a few years back hanging from the phone lines between our house and the neighbor's. It was early in the morning and I was about to drive out of the driveway. I was afraid the thing would decide to drop itself on the roof of my car the moment I passed underneath. I heard later that the boa killed and ate another neighbor's cat as its belly was bulging with something the size of a grown cat.

Talking about exotic snakes, I've seen cobras, grown ones (nearly five feet long) as well as smaller ones (a little over a foot long), around my house, too. Brrrrrr....... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif It's not surprising since the area where we live now was called 'Cobra Swamp' in the past.

I'm going to take pictures next time I see one of those snakes.

Pat

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
"beagelis mutelatis" is the sworn enemy of "rabbitis stupidis". Buggs must have benn capivated by the "friendly" nature of Summer and let its gurard down.

Either a sign written in bunny should be posted by the shed or better yet throw some dog poooo under there to keep the rascally rabbits running right past your property.

Instinct in this case, is a real bummer.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are 2 bunnies living underneath my neighbor's outbuilding...that happens to be about 10 feet from our fence. The Wonder Twins are unable to dig through this fence and it drives them mad!

We did get our fair share of baby birds in the early spring. I think the grand total of dead fledglings came to 16.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts