Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recap: Sulli arrived in our home on Friday evening 01/02/09. She has been an outside dog supposedly for about 1 year and as it has become very clear to us already she was not properly socialized. I also don't believe she was EVER kept indoors even for short periods of time. In a strange way it almost seems as though she is not really domesticated. She's not wild, but so timid and afraid of normal every day things that we take for granted that our dogs live with. That and she can't relax. She has a bunch of nervous energy and she paces and darts around but never seems to calm down at all. It isn't hyper behavior either, it is literally nervous energy. My point here is that it hasn't even been a week and she is making some great strides. She was even relaxing in the window with 2 of the other dogs today. I was so thrilled I had to grab the camera. Now granted she never closed her eyes, but at least she was laying there still and cuddling a little with the others. Perhaps there is hope that she will settle in eventually.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
That's awesome Donna! It just breaks my heart to think she was kept outside her entire life, with no socialization. But her future will certainly be brighter now! That first picture is absolutely adorable btw...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I meant to tell you all that she is doing a little better with my teenage daughter. I have had Holly take Sulli for a walk the past two days and today had Holly give Sulli some treats. Sulli actually allowed Holly to pet her today and while walking a neighbor boy (2 years old) gave her a treat. This may seem like such silly little things, but it is a HUGE improvement in just a few short days. She is scared to death of children and I am just not used to that with Beagles.

As for the daycare kids...well the pictures below will tell you how that is going. She will come into the room now, but she never takes her eyes off the kids and if someone moves even an inch in her direction she shoots off into the kitchen or out the dog door. She is so scared. It is sad to me to think that a dog can be neglected, un-socialized, or treated so poorly that they have never experienced all these normal things.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">Sulli</span> is very sweet, it's sad she had a difficult start to life but nice that she is with you and getting the love and attention she needs. It's great she is making headway . All the best to <span style="font-weight: bold">Sulli </span>and you all.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wait till she discovers that children drop food! She will adore them!

·
Registered
114 Posts
She's just beautiful! So glad she's starting to settle in. Its disgusting what some people can do to dogs. I'm just thankfull that there are people like yourself out there who are more than happy to give a dog a go!

Well done!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yay Sulli! Keep us posted, Donna. She is such a beautiful (and lucky) girl.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mentioned in another post earlier...last night's adventure was offering Sulli a hard boiled egg. (1/2 actually) It took her about 30 mins to eat it. She literally nibbled little bites off of it. The other dogs almost swallow their eggs whole. lol

I've noticed Sulli is not adventurous about treats or different food textures either. We kind of mix things up a little occasionally adding some oil to their food or a little bacon grease, gravy, scrambled eggs, diced chicken, broth/vegetable juice, etc... Sometimes it is just a little water to their food, but we don't like to give them the same old thing day in and day out. Well Sulli is not willing to eat anything but totally dry food with no additives. Oh well...her loss as far as I am concerned, but if that is what she likes...dry kibble is what she'll get. That is the least of my worries. lol

·
Registered
959 Posts
She will fit in with your pack in due time. She has made inroads and that is wonderful. Casie has the same problem, now that I read about Sulli's behavior, he was outside all the time with the pack and doesn't know how to relax...although getting better. So there is hope for both of them.

Cathy
Cobi and Casie's mom

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sulli has such a sweet pretty face. All your doggies and kids are cute. Give her time to adjust to her new wonderful loving home. She is lucky!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thank you for taking Sulli in. As owners of ex research beagles we know how exciting even a small improvement can be. Sulli is one lucky girl to have found you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So glad to read that Sulli is making such positive progress as a member of your family! She must be so overwhelmed with all the new and different sounds, smells and tastes -- just like she is being reborn.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Aww, Sulli is beautiful, what a face! It's great she's settling in and discovering her new life. Be sure to have the camera handy for those 'Kodac moments' In the photos of her and the day care, it's like she was trying to figure out what all those little people were and what were they doing?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally Posted By: KSycamoreAww, Sulli is beautiful, what a face! It's great she's settling in and discovering her new life. Be sure to have the camera handy for those 'Kodac moments' In the photos of her and the day care, it's like she was trying to figure out what all those little people were and what were they doing?
It really is like watching a newborn puppy discovering her world. It is all so new to her. I find it so hard to believe she could be 1.5 years old and have never seen, heard or smelled so many normal every day things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts