Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
It's normal for pups to test the boundaries. Some pups will have a stronger character than others and will push more than others. I doubt it's a female vs female thing, it would be more just a puppy vs owner thing!

Some dogs get told the rules and accept them, some dogs wake up every day and ask if the rules are still the same. The key with pups or any dog who is pushing the boundaries is to be consistent.

Two things I can think of - how well does she know the sit command? Does she sit every time have a treat or is that inconsistent too? If that's not the case and she's just pushing the boundaries, I would tell her to sit when I want her to and if she didn't comply I would push her bum down to guide her, and then let her in the house. She will soon get into the habit of sitting when she wants to come in.

I would also be doing a lot of training with her, thoroughly practice NILIF too - and remember NILIF is not just about the dog paying for something when THEY want something. Just because they pay for it doesn't mean you have to give it to them. Make sure everything is still on your terms.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonThanks Paula and Smeagle. She is a very smart dog. We haven't given them treats for sitting in quite some time. She knows the command well because we've been using it for a little over a month now, I think.

I've been doing the whole pushing her rear end down when she won't do it. I also wonder if she is doing it because she doesn't want to go inside.
Does she come to the door when she wants to come in?

They are only young so it's ok to use treats to reinforce the behaviour that you want. It won't hurt to take treats outside with you and give them to both dogs when they sit when you command them too.

My goal is never to eliminate using food rewards, because my dogs are very food driven, at this age I would be reinforcing the right behaviour with treats regularly (it doesn't have to be all the time or every time) so that they develop the habits I want them to develop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.