Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm thankful that Abby (7 months old) does not get aggressive around other dogs, I'm wondering if I should be concerned that instead she submits...almost incessantly.

Abby has played with a neighbor dog (Lucy, a mixed breed not much bigger than Abby) outside since she was about 3 months old. This other dog constantly holds Abby on the ground by her neck and forces her to keep submitting. If Lucy does something that hurts Abby, Abby will yelp and jump up and Lucy stops. Sometimes after several minutes of submission playtime, Lucy will run with Abby - which is all Abby wanted in the first place.

Recently, we took Abby to a friend's house...they have a dog who is much bigger and older than Abby (Kaysee). Abby and Kaysee have played together before (a couple of months ago) and did fine after the initial - who are you and which one of us is the alpha? moments. Kaysee, of course, came out as the Alpha and they ran and played and had a grand time together. This time, Kaysee did like Lucy does and just contstantly forced Abby to submit (face to the ground and/or belly up). If one of us (humans) got on the floor and played WITH them, it was better, but for the most part, they hardly played as Kaysee just kept standing over Abby.

The other day, Abby met a schnauzer (sp?) puppy that was smaller than her. He (Biscuit) didn't do anything to force Abby to submit, he just wanted to play. But, she wouldn't play with him b/c everytime he walked near her she threw herself on the ground and tucked her tail.

Do we need to be doing something different, or will Abby just always be submissive to other dogs?

I just need to know if I should be concerned...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would be concerned about the other dogs forcing her to submit and pinning her to the ground. There is no way I'd let a dog do this to my dog. It's not normal dog behaviour and it's very rude in doggy language.

I would guess that is absolutely why Abby is submissive almost instantly to any dog she meets - you're lucky that she hasn't become a bit fear aggressive after being bullied by other dogs like that - some dogs definitely can. It sounds like she doesn't have much confidence around other dogs.

If it were me I would stop any dog pinning her down or forcing her to submit, that behaviour is just not on. Encourage Abby to play with dogs who have better doggy manners and her confidence will probably improve.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You need to be the alpha, not the other dogs. Like Smeagle said, I would not allow this to be happening so frequently or so forcefully. When Henry plays with other dogs, I never hesitate to use that alpha persona, and I step in whenever I see fit. It sounds like the dogs that Abby is playing with run the show at their houses, and that's not healthy. I would hesitate to let her play with any dogs who are bossy or not submissive and obedient to their owners.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why don't the other owners step in??

I would definitely talk with the other owners if you still want them to continue playing with Abby. And step in if things look like they're going downhill. Abby has a right to be able to play without being bullied. And like the others, needs to be encouraged to play happily.
Poor girl!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts