Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so I realize this is a beagle site and I have told you that I have adopted a beagle. In my reading I have learned that a beagle should not be taller then 15-16 inches and a male would average 20 lbs.
When I got my dog, I was told he was a purebreed and I made the assumption he was a beagle by looking at him.
here's my discrepencies: at a year and a half he is 18 inches to his shoulder and 41 lbs.
is it possible I have misidentified him? I will add a couple of pictures for advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I can't really answer that for you but to give you a few examples I am aware of. First of all, out of 4 Beagles or Beagle mixes I do not have a single one that weighs 20 lbs or less and one is a very petite little gal. Also because I breed I can tell you that a neighbor purchased one of our pups a few years ago. The dam and sire tied 14 times and there is absolutely NO chance of any other dog having gotten in to tie with her. Well the sire is a 15 inch Beagle and the mother is a 14 inch Beagle, but the pup (now grown) is about 17 inches tall. Not sure how that happens as all of our purebred Beagles are even registered with the AKC. Anyway..your dog is gorgeous. There are a lot of different hound dogs out there and perhaps it is one of them, but it sure looks like a Beagle to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for sharing your examples. I certainly thought he was beagle, but was thrown by his size when I read the descriptions. But if you know it could happen that they are larger then I am happy with accepting he is beagle. He wasn't going to be a show dog anyway:)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: meg's mumhe may have a touch of harrier in him somewhere down the line as they are very like beagles but with much longer legs ?
Yup, or a coonhound or something...
He does look like a Beagle, just bigger. He's gorgoues

·
Registered
991 Posts
Shasta, who we call our industrial size beagle, was a rescue but had papers. She was 42lbs when we got her and her legs are so long she does not jump up on the sofa, she just walks up to it and steps up. He just looks like a big, and very handsome, beagle. Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Looks like a beagle to me. We have 5 and each and every one is different in size - Basil is like a barrel and is about 14.5 inches, Jasper is stealth and 16 inches, Skye is very leggy and sleak at about 17 and Buster is 16 and Barney boo our first beag is a tall 17 - to us they are all perfectly formed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our Gunnar is 17 inches and 40 lbs and he's all Beagle. Your boy is very cute!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles come in all shapes and sizes. It's possible there is something like Foxhound or Harrier in his blood line, but who knows. He looks Beagle to me and he's quite a handsome boy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He's a gorgeous beagle!
I haven't had a beagle that grew taller than expected, but we did have a Boston Terrier at one time who was almost half again as large as the norm. We saw his parents, and he was from champion bloodlines so we knew he was purebred. He was extremely handsome, too, by the way. Sometimes a dog just exceeds what's normal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ev everyone. I honestly don't care if he is a purebreed or not, I was just curious. I like to read up on anything new in my life and learn what I can. I was surprised to realize how big my Toopy is compared to what is considered correct.
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes to my new family member. I think with some training and patience (on both sides) we will all be very comfortable together

·
Registered
890 Posts
Check out the Daily Digital on Beagles on the Web. Spenser is a very tall beagle that his mom jokingly says could play center for the Celtics.

My Tucker is almost 17 and 45 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Your babe is georgeous!! He may have a bit of another hound in him, foxhound or harrier, because his legs are longer. But he is a very handsome boy, whether he is all beagle or not.
By the way, I was told Shiloh was purebred beagle too. Turns out she's part bassett hound. She has the shorter legs and longish body of a bassett, but the face and markings of a beagle. And the reason her litter wasn't registered with the AKC was not that the breeder just didn't want to bother with registering this litter, but that he knew he couldn't. Not all breeders are perfectly honest. But she is my heart and I love her soooo much!Enjoy your beautiful boy!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
He is lovely , he looks like a beagle to me.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
He is a beautiful boy. Beagle do vary and you should be proud of yours.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My first thoughts when looking at his pic was foxhound. English foxhounds normally have much shorter ears but american foxhounds ears tend to be longer. They have much longer legs than a beagle too but body shape and colourings all remain the same so it's very difficult to actually say what he is for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
He is really beautiful. His height really makes him unique!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That first pic of the foxhound looks exactly like my little Roscoe, only taller!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts