Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to vent a few moments so please bear with me.

I just returned from a lunch with a bunch of friends and sat there hearing all of them tell me how stupid I was to get a beagle. They went on in detail to tell me of the all night barking, the destroyed rugs and couches. As well as stratched floors and dug up yards and ripped pool liners.

Harley on a destruction scale with 1 being non destructive and 10 being a wrecking ball - he's a 2, and thats only when he's been alone all day and we ignore him at night. He will find something to do.

Other than that, he has toys, bones, old socks and of course his new extended family to play with and he is just fine.

I just wish people who aren't meant to have dogs or are not willing to spend some time with their pet would just SHUT UP and keep their opinion to themselves.

thanks for listening.
Andy & Harley.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Boy, do I know what you mean! Tippi was the perfect puppy. Ron gave her one of his old sneakers and although it is no longer recognizable she never destroyed anything around the house. She only had one piddle accident and that was only because we weren't paying attention when she sat staring at us on the couch and we didn't get it. So to show us she stood up, went over to the door and piddled right in front of us, then turned around as if to say, "Now do you get it?" None of our friends believe us when we tell that story and even say, "Well she must not be a beagle" Of course none of them have any furry children at home. Oh well, its their loss!
Lora&Tippi
-----------------

My little dog: a heartbeat at my feet.
----------------- Edith Wharton

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, you two must be lucky because that has not been my experience with Lucky. I have spent tons of money repairing and replacing things he has destroyed. He loves to chew on EVERYTHING. I figured that was typical Beagle. I just learned to keep everything out of reach. Let me add that I love Lucky to pieces and do not mind. We are currently in training class though!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think we all have a story like that. That's how I ended up with my second beagle, because my co-worker's wife didn't want her anymore...just because she was being a beagle. Not destructive, just very busy. I have heard it said many times on this board - do your research...they are not for everyone. For every beag that is perfectly behaved there are the ones who steal pepperoni, shred garbage, destroy shoes and chew your house up. Mine has done all these things, but I still love him to death because he's the smartest, most loving, sweetest dog ever.

When people get started on that rant, I just laugh. Beagle people are special because we appreciate the intelligence and independent spirit our dogs have even if it manifests itself in some mischief. Nothing makes me laugh harder than watching my two try to decide if obeying me is really worth their while, weighing all their options. They bring a smile to my face every day and that's priceless. Stupid people should definitely not have smart dogs!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
You're going to hear bad things about every breed. Feel free to ignore it. I do agree that you are lucky. We all spend a lot of time with Gage, training and playing with him, and he's still gone through destructive stages, barking stages, and nipping stages.

If someone met him for the first time during one of these bad stages, they'd probably come away with a bad opinion on beagles too. Any dog can be a handful, and adding the beagle's stubborness on top can be a bad combination.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Katie:

... They bring a smile to my face every day and that's priceless. Stupid people should definitely not have smart dogs!!!
Amen Amen Amen. Maggie's puppyhood was an adventure in tolerance, but that's why God made her so cute....so we wouldn't kill her. :hi:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Deb,

I have to laugh. You said what we said about Summer a long time ago.

[Speaking to Summer...]
Why are you so adorable?

[Summer answers...]
Because I have issues.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Deb, I frequently tell Jersey "It's a good thing you're so cute!". She definitely tries my patience sometimes, that's for sure, but I wouldn't trade her for the world...chewed shoes, rug, blinds, underwear, socks, books and all the rest! It's true, Beagles are special dogs and require special people. I've heard lots of nagative things from people about Beagles. I don't care what they have to say. Jersey is my dog and I'm the only one (well, Mike too) that has to like her!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh well, I lost another pair of slippers to Charlie yesterday :biglaugh:
I took my daughter to karate, came back in about 10 minutes only, one slipper is gone!

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you're stupid for having a beagle, I must be beyond help since Li'l Girl is my 4th beagle or beagle mix. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif For me, the love for the breed started over 30 years ago and has never faltered.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by siera27:
...I just wish people who aren't meant to have dogs or are not willing to spend some time with their pet would just SHUT UP and keep their opinion to themselves.
Ditto. There are a lot of people like that here, too, and they just don't know what they're missing in life.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Jeff Foxworthy said it best.

"I hate stupid people. They should have to wear signs that say I'm STUPID, then you wouldn't rely on them, cus there stupid." :thumbup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
When we first got the girls, one friend emailed me about beagles barking...that's been it. For some reason I have found that Cecil and Brandy make everyone smile. Don't get me wrong, they are a handful, but destroy very little as we keep a good eye on them in the house and have learned what to keep out of the way. When we walk them any kid outside wants to pet them and other dog walkers want to pet them and visit. So many folks have said they had a beagle when they were a kid and loved them. What these "stupid" people don't understand is that beagles bring sheer pleasure and joy to those of us who are owned by our beagles and bring a sprit of cheerfulness to the entire world. The "stupid" people need to just stare into those beautiful eyes and maybe they would shut up just from the spell cast by even the most fisty of beagles!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can sure relate to this. People are stupid and will continue to make stupid comments about things they don't know.

When I had my pot bellied pig I got "when are you going to bbq him" .... "that's a lot of bacon"....you get the drift.

I always came back with I'll eat him (I'm a vegetarian) when you eat your dog/cat...

STUPID people...

Beagles are the best. Their personality makes up for anything. I grew up with beagles. My other beagle-mix is more of a "brat" than her purebred sister.

Remember a tired beagle is a well behaved beagle.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Renee<Kylie continues to improve from her disc surgery on Dec. 13th....she's a miracle for us>

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
After I got Maggie, I heard so many negative comments from people. I was really worried because I believe a pet is a lifetime commitment and I worried that we would have some miserable years. However finding this group changed my outlook and my approach to working with Maggie. She is full of mischief and always getting into something but she has me laughing every single day and that is something I don't hear my friends say that about their dogs. This morning Maggie figured out that if she takes a running leap into the cat bed she can ride it across the kitchen floor. When she got to the wall she also figured that she had to drag it part way back if she wanted to slide again. She is doing more problem solving than some people I know so I hope no one ever again says to me that beagles aren't smart.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Go ahead and quote me next time you talk to those people. "My beagles destructivness can be rated by my own ignorance". My first beagle destroyed whatever he could lay teeth on. This was soley my own fault for not redirecting him towards appropriate chew toys. I just got a new foster who was supposed to be put down two Fridays ago due to his supposed destructive and aggressive nature. He has yet to destroy anything in my house, but what toys I have given him for this purpose. I whole heartedly agree. It is far better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
we3beags, I couldn't agree more. Most of Jersey's destructiveness has been a result of my own stupidity. I know not to leave certain things (like leather shoes) where Jersey can reach them, but sometimes I'm too tired, lazy or just forgetful about things and she gets to them. When I remove the temptations, she'll chew on her own toys (for which she always gets lots of praise!).

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by K & G:
You're going to hear bad things about every breed. Feel free to ignore it.
:exactly:

I've had chihuahuas, a boston terrier, a GSD (for a very short time) poodle crosses and pure bred poodles, and, of course, my Shiloh. At one time or another I've heard negative things about all those breeds. But I loved them all. Each breed brings its own wonderful qualities, and its own set of problems, but they are all so worth it. For your friends to call you stupid for having a beagle just shows how clueless they are. And unbelievable tactless!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've only ever had beagles so I can't compare what it is like with other breeds, but we sure have had a truckload of comments over the years from people about how much work/destructive/loud etc. our beagles must be - and by extension how crazy we must be to have them. I think that having three also means we get more attention in that regard (and more bad jokes - if I hear one more person say "Where's the fox" and then laugh like they just made the FUNNIEST joke I think I'll go insane - I swear we hear that at least once every few days!).

On the positive side, though, I have also had SOOOOO many people come up to us who genuinely are interested in the beagles and, in particular, how many people say they had a beagle when they were a kid and what a great dog it was and just want to pet our hounds and share some of their happy memories with us. That is the nice part of the attention you get with beagles!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Every dog I have ever had has a thing to nitpick or complain about :freak:
When it comes right down to it, it's how you choose to handle it that defines the type of person you are - positive or negative/optimistic or pessimistic/enlightened or ignorant/beagle lover or beagle hater...some people don't have what it takes to raise a beagle...sucks to be them...they can't see things like this ---->

1 - 20 of 25 Posts