Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to work with the girls on getting them to walk better on the leash without pulling so much. I have been taking them separately (is that a good idea? My Mom feels if we separate them too much and they get out they will not stay together???).

The stupid people part is it amazes me that so many people in my small neighborhood let their dogs run loose. It never fails, every walk we are followed by either a Boxer, a cocker, or several mutts. And this is every single day! And usually the entire mile around the neighborhood. I am not afaird of any of these dogs (the really bad Boxer and Pit Bull are tied up on a run that is the size of dental floss and I try to sneak by them when they are in their back yard).

So should I start carrying a walking stick in case I run up with a not so friendly dog???

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
What part of NC are you in?

I know in Apex we have rules that govern the leashless dogs. We also have rules that state all rabies tags must be WORN by the dog at all times.

If I were you and you know who owns the dogs I'd walk down there with their dog on a leash, knock on the door and say "I think your dog got out" and if they say "no we let them run freely on purpose" I'd say well you may want to reconsider because I heard on the news that they're cracking down on free roaming dogs because the county is very worried about the spread of rabies after last year.

I would also call the county animal control and see what the regulations were for aggressive breeds. Our neighbor use to have a rott I believe. And the dog would come barreling out of the back doggie door sometimes barking horribly at me and Abby stopping at the fence, and the owner would have it roaming freely around their front yard (no fence) while they were working in it (though it never made an aggressive moves while it was free roaming). I told Béla if it ever made a run for us I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it, world's best behaved rott or not.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are near Hickory in Catawba county. I am not sure if there is a leash law in our city? Something I need to look into.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts