Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usual day is I let Scout out in the morning before work, she goes in her crate for the morning, then I come home at lunch time and let her out while I eat, then back in the crate. I come home and take her on a walk and play an stuff in the evening. Recently its been harder and harder to get her to come in after I eat lunch and have to get back to work. She wants to run away from me and play chase. Usually she is very good about coming to the door normally to get back in (like after potty). Today was the worst, she wouldn't come in for anything. I can't catch her because the back yard is too big. I tried a trail of treats leading in the house. Once she was in and I tried to close the door, she bolted out. I was running really late and just left her out. Its only for about 3 hours. I left her food and water, but I am unsure of whats going to happen. What should I do in this situation?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I find that the more I give into the "game" the more Miley runs away. I'm not sure if this will work for you but what I do is - I sit on the ground and ignore her. Eventually she gets too curious if I have any treats or if she's missing out on something that she will come to me.

Oh yeah, I usually do have a treat in my pocket for her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nono5.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Our Sadie has always done that. Once when we were on vacation and hubbie's Mom was dog sitting, she could not get Sadie to come insode. Mother in law wound up crying and rotten little Sadie finally came inside. I usually get a treat of some sort to get her inside if she is being stubborn. Or sometimes if we just close the door for a few min. she will come on in wondering what is happening.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have had this problem before and it is very frustrating!! You just need to stay calm because the more riled up you get, the more fun it is for the dog. You should be practicing your recalls at night when you are not leaving. She likely knows that you are leavign again and isn't tired so she wants to stay out and play. How much actual exercise does she get at night (between walks and actual tongue hanging out exercise)?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is usually good about coming to the door when she wants to come in and she doesn't stay out for very long, unless its a nice day. And its not a nice day today. She gets lots of play at night, 2 walks about 40 mins apiece and then she is playing basically until we put her to bed. If there is another dog over she will play until she can't stand. So she is always ready to go. I will admit I had class last night and my wife doesn't play with her as much as I do so she probably wanted to play really bad. I just don't have the time to wait her out at lunchtime. After work or something I could sit down and ignore her or wait for her to come to the door.

·
Registered
139 Posts
you know what ?, its because she is clever, and she just knows exactly what is going to happen next. she knows you are going to work and thats why. i agree, try re calling her at other times when you dont have to go out, just so that she doesnt always associate the lunchtime re call as being left alone for a while. we always put meg on a lead to use the garden for a wee wee, so that we can get her back in straight after. If we dont, for whatever reason, she will not come in, its like she knows and will play us up, no matter how many treats are on offer. !!!

they are too clever for us........

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke does the same thing, especially in the mornings when Dave is bringing him in to put him in the room. One thing that ALWAYS works with Duke is a Kong with peanut butter in it, but we hate to reward him for being bad. So we started ignoring him and we let the labs in and shut the door and walk away and after a minute, he's at the door ready to come in (it does help our cause when we shower the labs with affection for being so good and coming in, amazing how quickly he comes to the door then, jealous little dude!LOL).

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel started doing this also. i have been working with him alot to get him to come in. i only have an hour for lunch and i dont have time to chase him too.

i do a few things.
1. use treats and lots of praise.
2. i catch him (does not work most of the time) and when i get him i kinda scold him for not following the command i gave.
3. i play with him for a min then go back inside and act as if im leaving. i start my car and everything and the second he hears my car he is at the door.
4. i walk out of my gate in my backyard and wait until he whines for me then i walk back in and he is so excited to see me he doesnt run and i can grab him and take him inside.

it is starting to work. now when i go outside he runs but i just say "diesel no, in the house" and i walk toward him and he doesnt come to me but he runs to the door and goes in. then i reward him for going in the house when told. and then i tell him "in your kennel" and when he does another treat and praise.

the only thing that has worked for me. is the harsh voice and scolding him for not following the command.

but it does get better once they understand that this is not a game. you have to be as stubborn as they are.. haha

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would practice recalls like Spencer's Mom said. While it is nice to imagine that our dogs will come to us out of respect and love, mostly it's the greedy beagle tummy that does the trick. When I was teaching Henry to come off leash, like in a backyard or field, I called him and gave him treats about a dozen times before I actually put the leash back on him or took him inside. They're smart little boogers and if you just call them once and catch them, the next time even food won't motivate them to come. I would also try getting out there to play with her; she's much more likely to follow you or come to you if it's fun for her. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is usually good about coming in. If she doesn't come and I say "I am closing the door now", she will come running. If that doesn't work all I have to do is put one piece of kibble in her dish and say "there is a bite in your dish." She can't resist coming in. My daughter goes to the front door and rings the doorbell. Maggie can't resist that either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She does come sometimes when I call, but I think its that she knows she is going in the crate. It also depends on how tired she is.

Anyway I got home from work and she was fine. Nothing really destroyed. She scratches are the door, or more like the door frame and it had some fresh grooves, but thats about it. She was excited to see me. I took her on a 40 min walk and then played. And then another 90 min walk before bed and she was zonked. I think it was because she didn't get her afternoon nap:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts