Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've noticed that Chamois' breath has been smelling kind of funny. It doesn't smell like normal bad breath. It's hard to explain but it's kind of reminiscent of the smell of dogs' anal gland secretion. It smells metallic more than anything else.

I've sniffed around her rear end (proof that I really love my dogs, haha) and it doesn't smell anything like the anal gland secretion. I also washed her face off to make sure that she hadn't licked it at one point and got it on her muzzle. At this point I'm pretty sure it's her breath. I looked at her teeth and they seem fine with no visible calculus buildup or gum inflammation. I brushed her teeth the day before yesterday, too, and there hasn't been any improvement. She's lost all of her baby teeth and is not teething anymore so the metallic smell shouldn't be blood. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. It could be diet related (what was she eating before?), or it could be an indicator of a health problem. I remember a foster dog my friend kept for a while who had paint-smelling breath that came from a health problem, so now every time I hear about that, it's the first thing that comes to my mind. I'm sure it's nothing serious, but it wouldn't hurt to get the vet's opinion.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree that you may want to consult the vet. Funny smelling breath usually indicates a health issue or diet issue. Keep us posted. It will be interesting to know what happens here.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squeegee has done that in the past too but I've never seen Chamois lick hers. That's why I said that I sniffed her rear end just to see if maybe she's doing it when we're not home and it didn't smell that way at all.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: VickiI've sniffed around her rear end (proof that I really love my dogs, haha)
You've already received good advice, and I have nothing to add. I just wanted to tell you that I laughed out loud when I read the above quote.
It's amazing what we'll do for our beagles!

·
Registered
489 Posts
take her to the vet
a friend of mind had a coker spania & when ever her breath smelled bad she would have a ear Ifection cause it would get bad & run into her throgh (sp?) causing her breath to smell

·
Registered
959 Posts
Okay this is getting too weird! First we talk about eating poo and not licking butts. I know that's what dogs do....but ewwwww!
Just kidding....when the boys were doing their poo thing, that was the first thing I noticed was their breath -- duh! Check with the vet...mine is my first resource, after I check here...but he/she would be able to maybe figure it out without going in.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Has anyone tried Breathalyzer in their dogs water? It's an additive to the water and helps keep breath & teeth clean.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: Caesar's MomHas anyone tried Breathalyzer in their dogs water? It's an additive to the water and helps keep breath & teeth clean.
YES! Great stuff and it really does work. I highly recommend it especially for doggie with a stinky breath, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.