Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Willie is getting up there in years and decided to jump off the bed. After that he won't put any weight on his front right leg so off to the vet we went. The vet said that he probably had torn or strained ligaments and prescribed some pain pills. That was pretty much the only option he said. Well, they seemed to work well up until they were gone. He was up running around and acting like a puppy again, but once gone, it returned worse then ever. It masked the pain and I think he injured it worse then when started. I havent taken him back and let him hobble around on 3 legs to let it heal naturally and he seems to be getting better. He will now walk on it most of the time, and has been restricted from jumping on and off of things and gets carried up and down stairs. Has anyone experienced this and how long did it take to get make to 100%. I would say he is probably 75% back compared to 10% when it started.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Moosie pulled something in one of his hind legs last summer - the vet said to just let it heal itself too, and so he probably was hopping around for a 4-6 weeks in the end. He definitely got better during that period, but would still hop after sitting for a while or have days when he seemed to be favouring it more then it would get better again. The hard part was to stop him from jumping up and down and playing - luckily we didn't have Buzz yet at the time since that would probably be impossible now!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've been dealing with this in my mix/heinz 57 dog. **** has always had knee problems, but this past weekend was really nice out and I think he overdid it. Since then he has been hopping around on three legs and very gently walking on it. I have also been carrying him up and down stairs just to help it heal.
I've been giving him 2 baby asprin and 3 glucosimine tablets a day and I noticed he's been taking it easy.

I have played with his leg to make sure there is nothing broken and he doesn't wimper or act like he's in pain. So I think time and being on light play he'll be better soon...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My first reaction is take him to the vet. Summer tore the ACLs in both knees. Both required surgery.

Forget the light play, he needs to stay off it completely (except for potty runs).

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks Joe but this morning he's not favoring the leg. Being almost 10 and the body style of a bassett the vet said he will always have leg problems. So we're trying to always carry him up and down stairs. He's not allowed on the furniture anymore. And he is on a low calorie diet.

My vet also said he's such a nervous dog that he would have to put him under to check his knees. So he wants to wait and see if he has to go under for anything like having his teeth done then he will be able to check his leg further. He doesn't like to put under just to check unless its and emergency...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts