Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke sometimes eats his stool. I try to stop him when I'm there to see it, but that doesn't always happen. I've heard of products to add to food or pills that deter this behavior. Has anybody used these and had any luck with them?

Also, he's started treating Phoebe's litter box as his own snack box (ewww!). Her box has a lid, but that doesn't stop him. She has to have access to our room, so I can't shut the door and lock Duke out. I've thought of one of the litter boxes that is automatic, but I'm not sure if Phoebe would be ok with that and hate to waste $100 for one.

I had a problem with Cassie and the cat box too, but she got too big for her head to fit in the opening. That won't save me with Duke. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My cousin had this problem with her two Shih Tzus.
They stopped doing it now, after she gave them pills (recommended by the vet)... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
124 Posts
We had the same problem with Suzy eating Precious' business. We put the cats litterbox in the bathroom and put a low (24inches) baby gate at the door. The cat comes and goes but suzy just watches.
Suzy also likes to eat the business outside, so every morning I go out and pick it up. Out of three dogs, shes the only one that is interested in that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts
The last Beagle I had, Casey, used to do this constantly. She would go out, use the bathroom and turn right around and eat it! It was so nasty .... I couldn't believe it. We used to make a joke about it that if we wouldn't give her a treat, she'd go make her own!!! YUCK! We tried adding stuff to her food that the vet said would make the poo taste so nasty (LIKE IT DIDN'T ALREADY??) that she wouldn't eat it any longer. Well, that didn't work. She did it forever, I'm sorry to say.

My 2 current beagles do NOT eat their own stool, thank heavens, but they go crazy for any cat poo they can find!!! Disgusting, I know. I'm afraid I don't have any good answers for you. I would check with the vet again and see if there's another suggestion. Good luck!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
All our beagles had this problem. What stops it, or at least partly, is feeding them treats of dried gut, bought in the pet store. Its usually a sign of something lacking in their diet and these smelly dried treats work wonders.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Try mixing in a tablespoon of Adolf's Meat Tenderizer. It is suppose to make the poo taste bad. It worked for Murphy.

I won't be the one doing a before and after taste comparison. :pukey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts