Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stand this behavior. I have tried to teach Buckley not to do this but it doesn't work. The vet does not have the stuff to put on their food. Where can I find this stuff?

Does it work indefinitely, or when you stop using it do they go back to eating their own poo?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I can't stand that either. However... Chase doesn't show interest in eating his own poop just the neighbors cat. :pukey:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this..?

Again, I don't ever hear of labs doing this...sigh

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mine only sniffs his own and other dogs' but he used to eat cats poo :pukey: I had to clean his mouth very thoroughly and that was enough punishment in itself (he hates to be cleaned). By some miracles, he just doesn't do that anymore.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Someone on here said it's related to nutrition. Maybe give him a higher quality dog food?

Have you checked lab forums??? I'm sure on lab forums people talk about all sorts of issue they're having with their labs, just as we do about our beags.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chase Mommy:
Yea, I can't stand that either. However... Chase doesn't show interest in eating his own poop just the neighbors cat. :pukey:
I was always told reason dogs tend to eat cat poop is because cats do not digest their food all that well and so some of there poop will have small klumps of undigested food in it . Dogs eating poop is a dog thing but beagles SOMETIMES tend to do it more. Shiloh never has that I have ever seen. So guess some beagles do and some don't but this being a "born with"trait. I really don't see any proudect stopping it. Guess,really about all you could do as someone said. When you catch one doing it,wash his/her mouth out with something that will taste bad and hope that works.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glover doesn't eat it although he eats the guineapigs poo... strange dog!

Ive heard of the washing their mouth or remove the poo straight away.

x
K

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
If your beag is upsetting you so much I'll take him!
My mother is traveling to FL for Christmas...to Hudson more specifically so it'd be nothing for her to pick him up on the way back to NC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
Someone on here said it's related to nutrition. Maybe give him a higher quality dog food?

Have you checked lab forums??? I'm sure on lab forums people talk about all sorts of issue they're having with their labs, just as we do about our beags.
What food do you suggest for puppies? I am feeding him Purina One.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mother is traveling to FL for Christmas...to Hudson more specifically so it'd be nothing for her to pick him up on the way back to NC.
He's upsetting me, yes. But he will learn to do things my way...period. That is his only option.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by fsufan:
He's upsetting me, yes. But he will learn to do things my way...period. That is his only option.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Oh you are serious??

Trust me, nothing you can do to stop it, they just get smarter and sneakier. Just clean up after him everytime he goes.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You know, I hate to say this, but almost all Breeds has the same trait, simple cause they are from the same background. they all bark, they all mark their territory, they all eat crap, they all bury stuff, they all chew. it is just different in the dogs themself, some do it more then others.

the only thing is Beagle has a more independent kind of attitude really. It's a more of a "What's in it for me?" attitude.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: He's upsetting me, yes. But he will learn to do things my way...period. That is his only option.
Notice my signature, below?

If you give it time and have an open mind, you will find that a dog with enough intelligence to have a mind of it's own is much more fun than one that always and only does whatever you want it to.

Now that I think about it, that goes for women too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Karebru:
Quote: He's upsetting me, yes. But he will learn to do things my way...period. That is his only option.
Notice my signature, below?

If you give it time and have an open mind, you will find that a dog with enough intelligence to have a mind of it's own is much more fun than one that always and only does whatever you want it to.

Now that I think about it, that goes for women too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
I've got plenty of difficult people to deal with in RL. I want a dog that does what I tell it to. Again, perhaps I made a mistake with this Beagle.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have to chime in here. Yes every breed does this. Its not just Beagles... My shephard, lab, mixed breed lab and beagles.

Try a little Adolph's meat tenderizer in the food. I did try it and it did work. Don't over do it and this might take a week, but you will see results....

·
Registered
193 Posts
[/qb][/QUOTE] I want a dog that does what I tell it to. Again, perhaps I made a mistake with this Beagle. [/QB][/QUOTE]
If you wanted a dog that does everything that you tell it to first time round you should not have got hound.
Did you not research the breed before you bought one?
Why did you not get the Lab that you seem to really want?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts