Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've noticed in the past couple of moths homer has been smelling alot worse than normal-i know beagles have a natural "dogggie smell" but this is worse than normal.i gave him a bath 3 days ago and he smells like he hasn't had one in months again.he doesn't roll around in dirt or anything outside and we haven't changed his diet.any idea why he is so smelly?anyone know of a good shampoo for him that might help with the smell or doggy cologne or anything???i can't wash him every week and he is an inside dog so i don't want him to be so stinky all the time

·
Registered
179 Posts
You may want to take a peek in his ears. If there is a lot of gooey stuff/debris and redness he might have an ear infection.

Another common source of odor are anal glands, which secrete a stinky (to us :p ) liquid and are located in the rectum near the anus. Dogs normally express them naturally, but sometimes they can have troubles and the glands become full (and can get impacted if left that way).

Good luck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Kat

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all that looks ok.you can tell it's his fur or skin or something like that.it's a typical doggie smell just way stronger.when he runs across the room you can get a good whiff of it and when you pick him up and smell his fur it's bad.you can also smell it real bad on your hands after he gets petted-everytime i pet and play with him i have to wash my hands cuz they just reek and if he jumps all over me when i sit on the floor and play i have to change my shirt cuz it stinks too

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It does sound like he rolls in yucky things. Watch him carefully when he is outside. Susi rolls in everything and her nickname is Skunk.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
How old is "your Homer"? And is he a pure-bred or "pure-bred w/o papers" like Goober? Most beags, "learn what causes baths" & how to avoid them! Goober holds the record for staying cleaner than any of our past beags...(& speaking about records, he still jumps willigly into the tub when a bath is needed!) But Homer-the-huge is most likely a walker/greyhound that I adopted as a "discarded puppy" in august 2002 that acts like a beag thanks to Goober...but he generates "dawg-odor" faster than any we have ever known before! :holyshit: The 2-5 age bracket can be murder when teaching them how to stay-clean! (Goober is nearly 16 yrs & Homer is over 5 yrs old now)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I read in my beagle book that bathing too much can make beagles smell worse than not bathing them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
homer is 6 months old today and gets a bath about every 4-6 weeks.he is never outside without us so i always see what he is doing out there and he never rolls around in anything-just runs around and we play fetch.he doesn't get into anything in the house either like the garbage so i have no clue how he can get so stinky 3 days after his bath without rolling in something.he just smells like a dog who hasn't had a bath in years.i'd hate to bathe him weekly-it's too much for him and not good for his skin and i don't want to deal with that myself.one day the neighbors are gonna call animal control on me cuz he sounds like i'm killing him :rolleyes:

·
Registered
667 Posts
I do think it is kinda weird for a beagle to smell without rolling in grass, or from what Snoops does, pushes his head on the grass to take up the smell....ive been told he does this to hide his scent (much rather have his scent than the poop he just rubbed his head into) :rolleyes:

Anyway, we give him a bath like every 2 months, sometimes if the grass is freshly cut he will smell like 'the outside' and stink for a day but then it will go away.

Try to locate the source..is it at the head, rear, or just everywhere?

Amanda

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Take him to the goomers and have them bathe him once, just to see if that helps the smell.

Also keep an eye out for a yeast infection.

Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, its been over threee years now since the Bagel had a bath which was the last time he found a fresh cow pattie to roll in. I don't have a sensitive nose but the Bagel doesn't smell or he would get a bath.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Has your vet checked him out to make sure the smell is just a normal doggy smell? He could check in his mouth--if he has bad breath and then licking himself the smell could be spread all over. Though at 6 months you wouldn't think he'd have bad breath!
What kind of shampoo do you use?I use a shampoo called Fresh & Clean by Lambert Kay on Shiloh. It has the most wonderful smell and the smell lingers on her coat for about a week, probably would last longer if she didn't go outside and roll in the grass! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I only have Marley to go on since he is my first Beagle but I would suggest going to a groomer or vet. Maybe it's the shampoo? Either way, seems a little weird to be so smelly. Marley hardly smells at all, except when he got wet a couple times and even that went away. he just smells like a dog, but I don't even notice that often.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Our boys get an odor when there is a female in heat in the area. You know that manly so called sexy odor. You might want to check that out too. We bath the boys every other month otherwise, and then use a great doggie conditioner on their coats...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:Originally posted by cobismom:
Our boys get an odor when there is a female in heat in the area. You know that manly so called sexy odor. You might want to check that out too. We bath the boys every other month otherwise, and then use a great doggie conditioner on their coats...
i never thought about that.there is only one dog close by and i don't if it a he or she but the dog is tied up all day across the street(they never play with the dog-just leave it tied up all the time :angryfire: )so maybe?he is only 6 months old so would he still smell cuz of that?i'm gonna try some new shampoo when its time for his bath again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts