Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nick and I were at PetLand today to see if they had any beagles we could oogle for a while. We are currently going through withdrawl...lol. Well they had a cute little guy who was born on Christmas Eve. He looked like he was having a blast in the cage, so we asked to see him for a few minutes. He didn't smell good at all. In fact, I was very turned off by it and couldn't get all cuddley with him. When we put him back into the cage, we saw what might be the problem...he had diarrhea...and then licked it off the bars at the bottom of the cage. So basically he had poo breath. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/congrats.gif

So...my question is...how different do beagles smell than other dogs? I understand that dogs roll in stuff all the time, but is there a natural bad smell to them? My family has had dogs for my entire life, but never had one smell so rank before. Is it just because he was probably sick and eating it on top of it? When we were at the breeder's house, the place smelled clean, even with 10 full-grown dogs in there and the 7 babies. I'm guessing that if beagles give off a strong odor, I would have smelled it then, right?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I keep hearing from people that Beagles smell. Well, I NEVER had any problem with Chloe. Yes, I do bath her about once every 1.5-2 months, but she is an indoor/apt dog, and rolls in stuff almost every evening at the park, plays with other dogs.... not once did she smell.

I also know 2 other beagles in the neighborhood, and it's the same thing. I think that if your house is clean, and you are clean - your dog will be clean too, and there is no reason for it to smell!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Some beagles are stinky and some are not and as far as I have seen it has nothing to do with what they eat or roll in. I have heard it a lot too and honestly I have one that is stinky and one that is not. My male is the stinky one and I could tell when I bought him as a puppy that he had an odor, but funny thing is....he is not the poop eater in the family. My female is the poop eater yet she doesn't stink at all. I have discovered that it isn't Tate's fur or body that stinks though. It is indeed his breath. After sleeping all night without eating or drinking...I have to darn near hold my breath to let him out of his kennel in the morning. I still love him bunches though...stinky or not!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Only problem I've had with really "stinky" dogs is with my "Lottie" - who came to me with several abcessed/broken teeth (the day after I picked her up she had emergency dental surgery and had 7 teeth removed, plus a chunk of dead black bone removed from her jaw). She smelled so bad that the people at the airport cargo office where I picked her up, stuck her in the back room instead of "up front" where they usually held dogs. After her dental surgery, plus treatment for an ear infection, and a UTI, she was fine. Once in a while one will roll in something "yucky" and gets a bath - but for the most part they really are not "smelly" dogs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you have a dog that smells bad, ask a vet why. I mean...they're dogs. They shouldn't smell any worse or better than any other dog.

kioko smells great...unless she's recently rolled in pee

·
Registered
443 Posts
Besides the obvious poo breath, no one else has touched on the subject of the overall health of this particular pup.

First, no - Beagles are not going to smell bad. My 2 don't unless they are out in the rain or found something stinky to roll in.

Second, Petland is notorious for getting their puppies from puppy mills. I would question the health of this pup as well as any others.

Just my quik 2-cents worth - now off to bed.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
My previous beagle Molly never had a bad odor, and my new beagle baby Maggie only smells of sweet puppy breath.

I've never heard that beagles smell worse than any other breed, and I have to agree that this particular pup might have some health issues.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke never smells bad unless he's been in the rain, or his breath smells from something he's eaten.

Matter of fact, I only bathe the dogs every 3 months or so. The labs start smelling like dogs after a few weeks and I have to supplement their baths with baby wipe baths. But Duke doesn't smell at all and it's been since right before Xmas sine he last had a bath (well, unless you count his jumping in the spa on Saturday as a bath.LOL).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel usually gets a bath when he rolls in something, his favorite is a fresh cow patty. He never had bad breath until late January this year, so when I took him in for yearly senior physical, I asked specifically about his teeth. He had a couple bad teeth on the right side (his left side) and appears he was eating his kibble only on the side of his mouth that didn't hurt. He had to go in for dental work, had a couple teeth removed and got a bath (last time was three years ago) at the same time. Beagles do have a slight hound odor which a sensitive nose may detect but I would be concerned if I had a stinky dog and I didn't know where the dog got the stink!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would say that this pup you saw at PetLand was ill because they shouldn't smell bad and certainly not if it's only a pup. Puppies smell sweet and lovely.

Hounds do tend to have a slightly different odour to that of other breeds, like Bob mentioned, but it's a very pleasant smell. My first dog Lilly smelt very houndy and I loved it. Rosas' hound odour is not so strong and Sherry smells a bit old if you know what I mean. But they don't smell offensive or nasty at all.

Baths are every 6 months or unless they roll in anything stinky. I don't believe in bathing dogs too often. Most dust and dirt is removed with the natural shedding of the coat and with regular grooming. I occassionaly give them a wipe over with a doggie wet wipe to freshen up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hound smell is not a pleasant odor. It is not overly offensive unless they are wet. Hounds are clean and don't smell badly but they enjoy rolling in some really rank things like racoon crap which does really stink. Petland is horrible place to purchase anything from because of the puppy mill issues, also the dogs are super expensive compared to healthy pups from independant breeders. My beagles don't smell bad but I wouldn't let them lick my face, I've seen what they will eat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Haha I love that Chloe's Mommy, I like Maggie's smell too, I know that sounds weird but it's like she is my kid. Anyway, Maggie doesn't smell but we had another beagle for a couple of months and he was an outside dog before we got him and he stunk so bad!! Even if we bathed him, it would come back a week later. I think the only time dogs smell is if they are outside a lot, have bad teeth, or their ears need to be cleaned. I'm sure you'll be fine!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer usually smells fine, until she decides that worms have a better scent. WOW, that is one foul smell. She gets a bath this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts