Our Beagle World Forums banner

still sleeps a lot at 7 months

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Zookeeper 
#1 ·
question 1: Marley just turned 7 months old and still sleeps alot. I would say almost half the day. Is this abnormal.

question 2: At what age about, do they stop growing?

#2 ·
1. Our beagle is 8 months and others might know better, but I'd say sleeping that much is fine, as long as they are active and playful throughout the day.

2. Our breeder told us beagles reach their full height at 6 months and continue to fill out until they are about a year. The growth has definitely slowed down a bit since he was younger.

#3 ·
Snoopy is 10mths and he sleep a lot too. He tends to be all go or couch-potato /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Most of the day he's snoozing somewhere in a comfy chair or sunbaking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He's definitely mellowing out with age.

#4 ·
homer is 7 months and he sleeps a bunch too.he comes in the office with me around 11 pm and sleeps(his decision-he can run around the house and play with hubby if he wants)-i wake him around 2 or 3 am to take him potty(i don't have to wake him really-as soon as i move he's right there...lol)and he will go back in his cage and i close the door and he sleeps till hubby gets up around 8am or so.hubby says when he gets up homer gets let out,goes potty,will eat and follow hubby into the office and sleep until noon and 2 pm.he gets tons of play time in the afternoon and evening and has a big yard he loves to run in so he definitly gets worn out :biglaugh:

#6 ·
Both of ours Beagles (5 and 3 years are big sleepers).

Vinny stays in his crate (door open) most of the day. That is his choice. However, we trust him enough not to destroy stuff.

Bama will not be restrained at all. So he gets the "free roam pass" when humans are not around.

Beagles tend to be big sleepers. Don't be alarmed.

#7 ·
I'd say my ~5 year old Josie will sleep (I'm estimating, but it really seems like it) about 18-20 hours a day. The vet assured us that there is nothing to worry about. She saves all her energy for our 1-2 hour play sessions she's got me doing every night with her squeeky ball... Then I'm ready for a nap...

#8 ·
Chloe is 9 months old, and she sleeps most of the day.
Look at it that way, they pee, poop, play. What else do they have to do. I bet that if I had that schedule, I would sleep most of the day too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif - they just get bored so they sleep.

About the growing: Chloe is done growing (hight wise anyway). I don't think that she will get bulkier though, since in the beagle meeting a couple of weeks ago, there were 3 more 13" beagles, exacly her size, and they were way older. The rest were 15" so I can't compare. I like her size though.... cute and handy :thumbup:

#9 ·
Quote: Beagles tend to be big sleepers. Don't be alarmed.
My Shiloh is 2 1/2 years and he sleeps so much during the day that I often wonder how he sleeps at night ! He is a BIG game hunter and hunting bugs & mice that invade his territory isn't an easy job ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :sign20:

#11 ·
thanks all. I was a little worried since his energy level has decreased a bit. He used to be really wired and pinging off the walls, not he is a lot calmer. He would rather lay next to me on the couch or at our feet and chew on a bone or sleep. He does play and run and stuff but I thought he was sleeping too much.

thanks guys!

#13 ·
Mine sleep a lot too and they just turned a year old! As a matter of fact, if they sneak (who am I kidding, when they come to bed with us) in to bed, Chloe has been known to get rolled off the bed and sleep as she falls. Rarely does she wake and she falls out of bed usually 2-4 times a week!

#14 ·
ok Tammy, wow! I just went back and saw this post about your pup falling off the bed and still asleep! Too funny. She is a trooper then. I would freak out and check Marley all over to see if he is ok. I guess after once or twice of this happening, you know she is ok.

#15 ·
Duke is 8 months and he sleeps a lot still through the day. We work all day and Duke stays in his room except for about an hour when my son lets him out, so he ends up sleeping through most of the day. But when we get home, it's on! That's when we walk and he plays and gets out all that pent up energy.

Weekends he tends to sleep more at night because we play with him and he runs around throughout the day. But if we have company and things going on and he is going full speed for a few days, he'll sleep for a few days because he wears himself out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.