Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we`ve had Beau & Cooper since August, and are now 6 months old, and they are reaking havoc..

They are still peeing in the house, they just cannot get it that even when the doors are open to go into the garden, Beau (b) just squats at the door and does it, it is just sooooooo frustrating...

They are chewing, chewing anything and everything, even the corner of our skirting boards in the kitchen...

Lastly, they will settle down at around 9-10 am, but 6 am on the following morning Beau is scratching at the door to be out its really frustrating, we thought by now that the penny may well have dropped.....

They were `done` last week and Cooper (d) is even dafter, you would think he had springs on his feet. Taking them for a walk is like having a game of twister, theyre all over the place....

Anyone, offer any help at all, its doin our heads in!.....

·
Registered
959 Posts
You have puppies, first. And puppies don't always follow a time schedule, or at least our time schedules. So patience is one of those things they don't tell you about when you pick them up. Patience, patience and then double dose yourself. Casie is 15 mos and although his breeder mother told me he was housebroke, uh, not my house. He was kennel trained in a running slab to go on, and will only do his big job on the sidewalk or carpet. We have some accidents, but it's patience. Everyone here talks about crating them...can you do that for awhile until they have figured it out. They are like children, when their bladders mature, they will figure out the peeing and pooing thing.

As for chewing ..... well obviously I don't have an answer except again patience...get them something that won't be swallowed, someone suggested to me torn dicky pants...if you need a pair, let me know, my son has dozens. That has helped..but we are looking for more things. Puppies chew, and beagles are pups until the day they die.

Now, as for the energy.....let me tell you that after the week I have had with a very, very lethargic puppy, one who used to drive me crazy with his energy, I am so thankful that he is almost back to normal with the energy. Take them for a walk individually until you can control one...and then add them together.(that's from the Dog Whisperer) We don't take our 7 year old and the pup for a walk because it is mayhem...and I can't do it. But be thankful they are energetic, the alternative is very sad.

Good luck....hope I wasn't too hard on you, it's just something I think we all have to remember when they are driving us nutso...they are just puppies.

Cathy J

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We adopted two 6 year olds and it took two years to get Susi housetrained. Keep at it, you will get there in the end. For chewing give them hard rubber toys, like Kongs. Kongs you can fill with treats and many here freeze them full of treats. This means the pups have hours of play getting to their treats, well five minutes at least!
Puppy classes are priceless in helping with training. Look to see what you have in your area.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It took Caesar almost 10months to understnad the whole peeing outside thing. Just keep praising them when they pee outside.

No-odor bully sticks keep them busy for a long time and satisfys that urge to chew things.

Pups are too busy running around to go outside so pee breaks (much like potty training a child-too busy for the toilet means peeing their pants)

Keep at it and eventually they will figure out they need to pee outside, and not to chew things that aren't toys. They are worth it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: NormanWell, we`ve had Beau & Cooper since August, and are now 6 months old, and they are reaking havoc..

They are still peeing in the house, they just cannot get it that even when the doors are open to go into the garden, Beau (b) just squats at the door and does it, it is just sooooooo frustrating...
What do you do when they toilet inside? What have you done so far to teach them to toilet outside and not at the door?

Consistency is the key with toilet training. If you see the signs that they might want to toilet, take them straight outside and give them a cue (i.e. go wees!). As soon as they toilet outside, BIG praise and treats, cuddles etc. It might sound simple but the key is consistency, even if you aren't sure if they want to toilet or not take them outside - and if they do toilet inside, take them out instantly even if they are still toileting!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: Smeagle
Originally Posted By: NormanWell, we`ve had Beau & Cooper since August, and are now 6 months old, and they are reaking havoc..

What do you do when they toilet inside? What have you done so far to teach them to toilet outside and not at the door?

Consistency is the key with toilet training. If you see the signs that they might want to toilet, take them straight outside and give them a cue (i.e. go wees!). As soon as they toilet outside, BIG praise and treats, cuddles etc. It might sound simple but the key is consistency, even if you aren't sure if they want to toilet or not take them outside - and if they do toilet inside, take them out instantly even if they are still toileting!
TBH, done ALL of the above. They just seem to do it as they like, we are doing the garden thing, and praising but no good...at the moment.

Yesterday morning I had them out and went to open the door and Beau even peed on the mat at the front door, you could`nt really make it up, they had been out for an hour and pped for England whilst out. I dont know...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts