Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly just turned 7 months old, and still cries when we leave the apartment. She never cries at night, and it appears she doesn't cry for very long, but for about 5 or 10 minutes, she will cry. I have a camera on her crate to watch her when i'm at work (i call it BeagleVision!), and she occasionally lets out a little wimper, but nothing extensive. Is this normal and could she still grow out of it??

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
It sounds like the beginning stages of Separation Anxiety and boy do I know all about that!!! Just make sure to never make a big deal of coming or going, it will just make things worse.

It could also be boredom. How much exercise does she get before you leave for work and do you leave something to keep her busy like a kong filled or something like that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure we walk her enough, however, it could be the timing. My wife wakes up first and takes her outside, then feeds her. She's crated for about 20 more minutes before i come down and walk her. Its these 20 minutes where she cries. She is also walked in the evenging. I will try a kong and see how much she likes that. thanks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
my opinion, it's normal. I say this since you said she whimpers and it does not last long. Beagles are pack animals, very attached to their parents. My cocker was very attached to me and my hubby, and he cried when we left him til the day he died at almost 10 years old. Whimpered for the fist 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My beagle was a bit like this when she was a baby puppy.

I completely ignored her when I was planning to leave the house and completely ignored her when I got home - she had to learn she wouldn't get my attention until I chose to give it to her. In your case when your beag is quiet and calm /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We also practice NILIF with our dogs which is short for nothing in life is free. Simply, the dog doesn't get anything for nothing. This also applies when the dog wants attention - they have to do something for it first. So if Daisy wants a pat when I get home, she has to sit when I give the command. I found this useful when trying to curb attention seeking behaviour /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:Originally posted by Smeagle:
My beagle was a bit like this when she was a baby puppy.
How old is "baby puppy"? At 7 months old, molly seems a bit too old to do this, but i never had a beagle before!

In any case, my wife gave her a kong when she left and she didn't make a sound! AND she was done w/ it by the time i came downstairs. thanks!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ok, this does sound like seperation anxiety, which I unfortunatly know WAY too much about ....story is long (look in old posts)

I do agree with above about when you leave or go, dont make it a big deal. Not sure how long you had your puppy, but I got Snoops at 1.5 yrs and he barked so many hours that I cried every day just knowing that he was sad and barking in his crate.....

...but he was a rescue and I knew he would be happy with us...and now...another 1.5 yrs later, he is the happiest beagle ever, well, almost, he would love to go hunt rabbits and still will not let a human near him but us..

Be patient..it takes time. He just needs security and over time, he will realize when you leave, you will also come back!!

Good luck..

Amanda

·
Registered
959 Posts
I can tell by your pics that Molly is very much attached to you and a very loved little girl. As one poster said, 7 months is still a puppy..she is still very much a baby. And like kids at day care or the sitter, they will cry because they think mom and dad are coming back to play. She probably cries for awhile, and then goes about her business of sleeping and playing with herself. Because beagles are pack animals, we decided that we had to have two. I'm not saying that's for you now, but it's thought. Someone for her to be with, and snuggle up against when you aren't there.

Good luck...she is a cutie!

Cathy J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts