Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 4 days pita is still having a hard time to get used to the crate. she whine for so long and she doesnt stop after agessssssssss. im losing so many sleep hours. what to do?

·
Registered
751 Posts
have you tried covering the crate with a towel or sheet?

Other than that, get ear plugs and wait it out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by doronkoll:
after 4 days pita is still having a hard time to get used to the crate. she whine for so long and she doesnt stop after agessssssssss. im losing so many sleep hours. what to do?
It can take weeks for dogs to get used to the crate. As I have said in other posts and as it specifies in the crate training article I sent you, crate training should be gradual and a dog is not crate trained over night.

I would start (and this is how I did it with my beagle) crate training in small doses. Once she was used to it, I would close the door for only a minute and give big rewards when she is quiet. I would give her her dinner or a big bone in her crate and try to get her to stay in it quietly for ten minutes after she has finished eating. I would then let her out with big praise and would increase the amount of time she can be in the crate quietly for ten minutes each day. Once you get to two hours of quiet crate time you can try leaving her in over night.

A dog that is happy and feels secure in their crate, will not bark and cry and carry on to be let out. That is why they call it crate *training* because it is a training process that does not give you results over night.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
This may sound silly, put a ticking clock underneath the blanket or pillow. For Charlie, I wrapped a mircrowavable heating pad and put it in his crate. Put the crate in your bedroom so Pita can see you, call out his name, sneak a treat through the door.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We also do the microwavable heating pad for Blue and now he grabs it from me right at the microwave and runs into the kennel, but only at bedtime. When I come home at lunch, it is a totally different story and it is a nightmare to get him back in the crate!!! Fortuantely, he can start daycare next week!! :bounce:

Try the heating pad (or a heated puppy toy) and the blanket, it worked for us.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The other thing to try is letting her have something naughty, I am sure as soon as she grabs it (i.e. a shoe) she will run into her crate with it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif As soon as she gets something naughty she runs into her crate with it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif i will try the warming thing!!
this night it was much better but she peed in the crate(not a big deal). :redface:

·
Registered
48 Posts
We got Boomer at 10 weeks and it was a good solid week of hours at night crying and whinning. Eventually it stopped and we started giving him a treat when he goes in there.

Now he's 8 months and doing so well. Doesn't cry at night AT ALL until maybe a few wimpers in the morning when he needs to potty. Also when we leave, I say, "Boomer wanna snausage", let him have a whiff of the treat...then say, "Go in your cage" and he runs in there so fast his ears flop all over the place. It's so sweet!

·
Registered
751 Posts
for the peeing, are you using a divider in the crate? The crate may be too big and she can pee on one side and sleep on another.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm bumping this old thread because I have a situation with my 3 month old beagle. He has always gone quietly to sleep when I put him in the crate. I wake up at 3 am or so to make a bathroom run, put hm back in, and he sleeps until 6:30.

However, last night he barked like hell when I put him in the crate. I let him go about 30 minutes until my head exploded and I lost patience. I put him in a small pen we have in the living room. He lied down there for a while, got nice and tired, and then I move him to the crate with no issue. After the 3am bathroom brake, he again cried and barked like hell when I put him back in (he never does this...always does back to sleep). I did the same pen routine, and he slept until 6:30.

Tonight, the same thing is happening. Barked a lot when I put him in the crate, but this time I just let him whine and bark. He's been at it for about 30 mins. He'll stop for 5 mins or so, and then start up again. Just us very frustrating, and I am afraid I am going to lose my temper and do something I regret.

Anyone have any feedback on this? He doesn't have to go to the bathroom (he goes right before I put him in the crate), and I don't think there is any other physical issue which may be causing this. The room, crate, environment, etc. has been as it has always been, and he has been good except for the past two nights. I am a loss here as to what is causing this regression.

·
Registered
103 Posts
He's only 3 months. It's two steps forward one step back with puppies. Start teaching him a quiet command and use it when he barks in his crate. I would not let him out when he barks like that. He's going to learn it works and it'll be harder to break. I would cover the crate and move it to another part of the house so you can get some sleep

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
We had a similar problem at around 4.5 months. Covering the crate helped along with sitting on end of bed talking to our Maggie until she calmed down. After a few nights of this it has subsided. It's like she needed assurance that she was still part of the pack. I've read where dogs go through stages of insecurity as they go through puppyhood.
This happened around the time she learned to jump up on our bed. She probably wanted to sleep in the big bed...not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, he quieted down for a couple of hours, and then started barking at 2am up to his 3am bathroom break. Took him outside and then put him in the pen in the living room for 10 mins where he started to fall asleep. Them transferred him to the crate. Stayed there ok until he woke up a 6am (ugh!!!). I am a zombie right now with a pretty good headache going. His crate is n the laundry room, but if this keeps up, he and the crate are going in the garage. He'll love that!!!

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I've been through this as well. Don't give up as it will pay off later. I always say...NO BARKING! and then close the door to the crate firmly with a little noise. I swear it worked every time. If you switch where the dog stays in the pen area you will reinforce the problem.
I also keep a sheet over the crate. I make my dog lie down when I put her in, then give a small treat. I tell her..Down..then I show the treat and put it down on the floor of the crate.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I'm bumping this old thread because I have a situation with my 3 month old beagle. He has always gone quietly to sleep when I put him in the crate. I wake up at 3 am or so to make a bathroom run, put hm back in, and he sleeps until 6:30.

However, last night he barked like hell when I put him in the crate. I let him go about 30 minutes until my head exploded and I lost patience. I put him in a small pen we have in the living room. He lied down there for a while, got nice and tired, and then I move him to the crate with no issue. After the 3am bathroom brake, he again cried and barked like hell when I put him back in (he never does this...always does back to sleep). I did the same pen routine, and he slept until 6:30.

Tonight, the same thing is happening. Barked a lot when I put him in the crate, but this time I just let him whine and bark. He's been at it for about 30 mins. He'll stop for 5 mins or so, and then start up again. Just us very frustrating, and I am afraid I am going to lose my temper and do something I regret.

Anyone have any feedback on this? He doesn't have to go to the bathroom (he goes right before I put him in the crate), and I don't think there is any other physical issue which may be causing this. The room, crate, environment, etc. has been as it has always been, and he has been good except for the past two nights. I am a loss here as to what is causing this regression.
It is always best to start your own thread. It gets very confusing when you bump threads that are 9 years old.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
My 2 cents? I never got up at a set time to take my pup out. I put my pup in the crate and let her cry until she went to sleep. Like crzycrkr said, "You need to ignore."

Pup knows you get up the same time every morning to take him out. I took my pup out last thing, before bed. I put her in the crate. She cried the first few nights, but for less time each night, until she didn't cry anymore. I waited for her to alert me that she needed to potty. At first, the towel in her crate would be wet. Took her out anyway, to finish going. Praised. Right back in the house. Quickly wiped out crate, put in clean towel. Put pup back in crate. Went back to bed. No play time. No talking. No affection. Back in the crate. Back to bed. If she cried, I didn't come back. As she matured and could hold it, she stopped alerting me in the wee hours of the morning. That time will be here before you know it. Does your pup wet, or poop in the crate, if you don't take him out? Perhaps you should try and see what happens. Just be prepared for a clean up, if need be and don't get mad at him.

I think you have inadvertently conditioned your pup, that if he cries, you will come. Even, if you don't come, until he cries for 30 minutes - you gave in. Pup knows that if he cries long enough you will come.

Try playing some soft music on the radio for him. You MUST ignore his crying. You absolutely must, or you will not break him of this behavior. Please do not lose patience with your pup. He is a baby. If you think you are going to lose your temper to the point you will do something you will regret, please rehome the puppy. I hope you are not serious about moving the puppy to the garage. I would not even have the crate in the laundry room.

I raised three children. I remember the infant days - feeding every two hours, 24/7. The waking up and crying. Changing a million diapers and feeling sleep deprived. It's hard. No doubt. Like children, puppies are a responsibility. They are not children or puppies forever. Try to enjoy your pup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I have not tried to see if he can make it through the night without a bathroom break. I just assumed he couldn't given that he is only 3 months. He has only wet his crate a couple of times, but again, I've been taking him out once a night.

We'll see what happens tonight. Took for a walk last night to try to tire him out, and will do the same tonight with a game of fetch to get him running.

I guess it would be frowned upon if I spiked his water with Benadryl?:D

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Your dog is a puppy and I would guess still needs to pee after a few hours. My dog will give a yelp from her crate at night if she needs to go on occasion ... I'll take her out and straight back to the crate.
I've tried ignoring her but I feel sorry for a dog that needs to pee or poop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts