Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By choice? Anyone elses beagle like this?

Bentley has the option to come in as he pleases. He knows if he scratches on the backdoor I'll let him in as he's done this many times. However, the odd thing is he never seems to want to come in.

I take the other dogs out, they do their business and then must follow me back into the house. In fact they must follow me everywhere!! Even to the bathroom! Personally I'd like for all of them to enjoy the outside as much as Bentley does and I could have a little doggie free time to myself.

Bentley however, just stays outside laying in the grass and is totally oblivious to my calls to come in. Perhaps in a few hours he will scratch, but many times if I don't force him to come in he will stay out there all day long by himself.

He's like that in the house too. While the other dogs are practicly under my feet all day, Bentley will quietly slip off to the other room and go to sleep.

It's not a pack issue. He plays with the other dogs and the only squabbles we have are between the two female German Shepherds. He comes out to eat and play with us, but if there isn't anything he wants he's content to just hang out by himself.

Is this odd for a beagle?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with Bentley, as a matter of fact if beagles are not hunting or eating, they just mellow out.
I know what you mean about having velcro dogs...I also have a GS/Mix and a Min. Dachshund...I tell you I cannot do anything without them being at my heels, I feel like the Pied Piper
But my two beags are just content to chill out in a comfy spot till it's time for a walk in the woods or eating

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke likes to be outside and there are plenty of times we can't get him to come in. I was the one that didn't want him out there because when he was younger, he somehow found things to get sick from by eating everything he could see! Luckily, now he's either more discriminating or his tummy has gotten used to his eating habits. LOL

But if Duke even thinks there is a hint that there will be food inside, he's at the door in a flash. Sometimes, if it's bedtime and I want him in, I make a production of giving Cassie a treat and that gets him there in no time. Then, of course, he gets a treat too. Yes, he plays me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good! I thought maybe he was unhappy with life. LOL! The pets have it made around here so if he was I had no idea why!!

It's like I always have to be in the shepherds sight (hmm...maybe that's why they are herding dogs LOL), but Bentley is fine whether I'm with him or not.

Of course if I'm giving out food, I'm his best friend!!

Today he spent about 6 straight hours outside before he wanted in. It's blazing hot here, but he likes it anyways. I saw him sunning on the deck! I make him come in sometimes but then he's right back at the door wanting out. Or he'll pace the house back and forth, back and forth until I let him out.

He wasn't raised in the house I don't think as he is a rescue and we got him when he was a year old, so perhaps that has something to do with it as well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry is a beagle mix (possibly some shepherd in there, as he's lanky and marked like a shepherd) who does the same thing. In the house he follows me around unless he's really sleepy, but he LOVES to go outside and sun on the deck, even if he's not able to go out in the yard. (Ours is not fenced so when he's left in the yard he has to be put on his runner, which I'm not a huge fan of.) Our deck is pretty large though, and my neighbor built a nice gate for the top of the stairs, so it's safe for Henry to be out there by himself. He has a doghouse, shade, and water, but prefers sunbathing in 80-90 degree weather...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts