Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Not sure what the best way to approach this is, Fizz has snapped at me a couple of times. First time i was trying to pick her up off a chair, second time was after waking her up to go for a pee (can't really blame her for that). I know this has only happened a couple of times but its completely out of character for Fizz. How do you stop this from getting worse? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Has there been any change to the way you treat her like getting softer with her? It sounds like she is not accepting you as her "master" or leader or whatever you want to call it. She should never snap at you for anything, exactly the way a pack member in a wolf pack will not challenge the pack leader unless he is weak. You need to be more firm with her when it comes to her behavior problems.
Does she let you touch her and handle her all over? You should eat first, step out of the house first (and back in first), don't pay any attention to her before you leave the house and when you come back in. Don't let her jump on you, on jump on the sofa/bed, before you sit and only when you "invite" her to.
She needs to earn affection and always make her do something before you even pet her (this one is the hardest even for me... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif ).

Good-Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
what was said is good advice. Marley has done/does this as well, and I meet him head on, show him through my voice and behavior that I am boss. I cannot explain it, other than they seem to be challenging our lead. Fizz is how old? Marley is 7 months so I have a little more work to do in this area.

Definitely didnt want you moving her/him or waking her/him. Not allowed.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Firstly I would take her to the vet just to make sure she's not sore somewhere and that is the reason for her reaction.

Daisy also doesn't like being picked up and hasn't since she was a puppy. Some dogs simply aren't touchy-feely (not that that excuses the snapping).

If it is behaviour related, try not to touch her when she is sleeping or just woken up - that is not snapping. Dogs have a startle reflex, and some have it more than others. It has nothing to do with aggression at all. The dog doesn't choose to react in that way, it's totally instinctive.

If you want to wake a dog up or move her, try talking to her and then commanding her to move or get off instead of picking her up i.e. say "come" or "off" instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts