Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Stanley has been with us a little over one month now so he's feeling like part of the family. He's more relaxed and showing his fun side. He is however, starting to show his mischiefious side as well.
He has a brother and sister (two cats) that have a litterbox and food set up in a room downstairs (five steps down from the livingroom). Stan waits until we're all asleep and eats their food and he even sampled some poop... eeewww, gross!
He's also ventured upstairs and pooped in the bathroom.
We've scolded him (and he does appear to feel bad) but since he knows we love him, he's not afraid of trying it again.
We put a chain on the cat door that opens up 5.5 but that stinker squeezed his stout body through anyway. We also hung a cowbell from a rope from the bathroom door handle (thinking we would hear that and we could take him outside) but he peed outside the bathroom door then. He will go outside and his behavior is overall good, he goes days without incidents, but he hasn't given us a clear sign when he needs to potty.
After a ton of research, we're thinking he might benefit from a crate.
Stan's a nervous guy and it would give him a safety place when he gets insecure. He also doesn't whine or bark much (i've only heard him bark once) so it's hard to tell when he does need to go outside. I'm hoping he might equate a whine or some noise he can make to alert us that he has to go outside during the night.
I'm going to pick up a crate today. For all we know, he may have had one before since he was a stray and he's around four years old.
I'll keep everyone posted of his progress and if anyone has any advice, please pass it along. We want what's best for our li'l buddy.

PS. Stan want's to pass along his get well wishes to Charlie. You take it easy Charlie and I hope everything works out pal.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Miss Shiloh used to eat kitty crunchies too. Yucky habit. I got one of those litter boxes with a domed top, and that seemed to discourage her some.
I think you probably have a good idea with the crate. When Shiloh was a puppy we had 2 other dogs, and it didn't seem fair to put her in a crate when the other 2 had the run of the house. But after not making progress with the housebreaking, I finally gave up and bought her one--it really helped. I wish I'd gotten one sooner. Good luck, Mrs. Cleaver!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeah, Duke likes kitty treats, too. That's why Phoebe's litter box is up on what used to be a microwave cart. She can still get to it, but he can't!

We never did crate training, but everybody that does seems to get good results. What about a bell on the door outside so he can ring it when he has to go, that has been a successful method for some. Also, if the bathroom is upstairs, can you gate off the stairs? When we had Duke fully trained, he still used to go in one spot in the front room. We finally gated off the front room and that was the end of that. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We tried the bell idea (sounded clever) but Stanley was afraid of the bell. (Maybe he saw his shadow, he's a fraidy-dog).
We thought of gating off the kitchen but we want to see if the crate method would initiate a whine or bark when he needs to go outside.
We'll let him become comfy with it before we make him sleep in it at night (he's had enough stress in his life!). I think he might like the crate idea because he sometimes hides behind a livingroom chair when he's nerved up. (thunder especially).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stanley had his first night in his crate. He didn't seem to mind going in there at all. He slept all night (we put him our room) and he was snoring away. This morning we went outside, he did his business and that was that. I think he will be safer in there at night (he can't get into trouble) and his schedule (for sleep and going potty) should become more consistant. I'm also hoping that he'll find security in there when thunder storms roll on through.
He may have been crated in the past because he seemed very cozy in there.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Good for Stan, and you! He may be so comfortable in there that he'll come to see it as his little special place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts