Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted Payton about 6 weeks ago. He is a little over a year old. He was in a foster home with 4 other dogs, and I was told he got along with them great. He is awesome at the dog park, a bit shy at first, but once he finds he feels comfortable, he plays and plays and has never shown aggression. He has been good on walks, but once in a while...he will see a dog coming from the other way and will start stalking it. He will start getting low and walking real slow...when we get close to the dog he will sniff it's behind and sometimes start trying to play with him, at least it seems like he is trying to play, and not chase/hunt. He usually has his tail wagging like he is happy to see another dog once he gets closer. It makes me nervous though, when he is in the stalking pose and I'm just not sure how to act. I feel as if I act scared and pull him the other way he will just get more interested... I get afraid to get close to the other dog in fear that one of these days he might hurt them... I've seem him act so great with other dogs, the stalking pose just make it look like he wants to attack! I know they have a strong prey drive, could it be that he's going through those motions but then stops before the bite/kill bite steps? We do have many cats in the neighborhood that roam free and drive him crazy...Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
my dog does this and i was told that it was there way of being submissive to the other dog untill they get to meet the other dog. where i live we have so many stray cats i cant help you with that one i cant keep the cats away from my house lol:frown:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Going off of your description, sounds like he is playing! As long as the tail is wagging and he does not show aggression (growling, bearing teeth, etc.) I think it is just play.

With other animals however, be careful. They do have a strong prey drive with rabbits, squirrels, and I am sure some cats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Kim did that this week for the first time. She was down low and moving forward slowly when she saw another Beagle. I was a bit wary but once she came up close her tail started wagging and she went off playing. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Charlie does this with breeds of dogs he does not like or is iffy about? black labs and golden retrievers...........cause in the past he was attacked by such dogs....perhaps in the end my dog just wants to play....but sometimes the other dogs take it as Charlie is in attack mode...and they go off on him,,,, he screams like he's being murdered what did I do? is what he's thinking....well Charlie your way of greeting or wanting to play is not accepted by some dogs.......
is it a certain breed your beag does this too? keep an eye on it perhaps it's nothing to worry about just watch it......stay safe

·
Registered
16 Posts
This was exactly the way my adopted beagle acted toward my dachshunds for a few days. My girls didn't know what to think about it because sssshhhhh...they don't know they're dogs. Anyway, it turned out OK them being so good natured and all they just marched right up to her and started giving her kisses.

This was exactly what I was hoping to get from this forum. Learn all these little breed characteristics so I would understand Petunia better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmm.. Im not sure thats a greeting, or a play. The thing is, i saw a episode of "Its me or the Dog" and i saw exactly what your talking a bout with a shepard mix. She would slow down, and lower her head, and stare at the dog. Then suddenly attack in a rage. This sounds alot like what your dog did. I hope im wrong, be cuase, it may be bad if he runs across a larger dog with some big teeth thats not well trained(key word there).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Every dog is different. When my girls behave differently than usual, I just turn them around and walk the other way. I also carry a spray just in case there is a serious problem.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Every dog is different. When my girls behave differently than usual, I just turn them around and walk the other way. I also carry a spray just in case there is a serious problem.
What kind of spray? My "sweet" neighbor just said his dogs are trained to kill animals and people, so I'm looking for some good spray...:scary:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, a gentle spray is citronella spray - about $12 for a small canister from the pet supply - only effective on minor scraps between normally nice dogs. A "serious" spray is a mace gel, which should slow down a more serious threat. A "really serious" spray is Bear Spray, which will stop a big bear in his tracks. If you are truly concerned about animals that you think will harm you and your dogs (seriously), then order that from a camping/outdoors website. Bear spray will shoot up to 30 feet, but can kill or at least seriously harm a dog (I hear it's very effective on potential rapists, too). I carry citronella because I haven't taken the time to purchase mace/pepper gel. I keep a large rubber mallet by my back door because my new neighbors have two huge American Bulldogs that I don't trust. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thx , the bear one will be good, these are 4 very big pits.
If this is not enough the owner usually carries a big knife as well.
At least I don't have to be afraid about the rape part I'm old enough, hehehe...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts